Headset Bearings/Cracked integrated surround

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jenic

Über Member
According to Specialized my 2010 Tricross has 'Cage bearings integrated HS'

Today I removed the fork to grease the HS bearings as the steering was feeling very stiff, the actual caged ball bearing was pretty much dry and bent so that needs replacing. The piece the caged bearing sits in has cracked, see picture:

TPB8dZe.jpg

What are my options here, can I get a new caged bearing, grease it up, fit it and it'll be fine? Or does it need replacing, if so what do I need exactly?

I need the bike up and running by end of play tomorrow really, luckily I have 2 LBSs which are open tomorrow so should be able to buy bearings but not sure on anything else if it's model specific.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Attachments

• TPB8dZe.jpg
    TPB8dZe.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 141
U

User6179

That looks like part of the bearing cage is still stuck inside maybe .

OP
OP
J

jenic

Über Member
That looks like part of the bearing cage is still stuck inside maybe .
I think the bearing is out and looks like one of these:
12-GCHB-01.jpg

I'm a complete n00b but it looks like some sort of plastic cage (that the bearing sits in) which has been pressed into the tube that has snapped slightly. I have no idea if it can be easily removed but I have no press etc to install a new one even if I could get one tomorrow.

Attachments

• 12-GCHB-01.jpg
    12-GCHB-01.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 42
U

User6179

I just looked up your bike and even though it says integrated I don't think it is an integrated headset , the cups are pressed in and not integrated so you just need a new headset I think .

Edit-You Can convert to Integrated as there are Integrated cups in the frame below the pressed in cups ( weird set-up) , just pop out the pressed in cups and replace with a cane creek Integrated headset to suit .

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jenic

Über Member
I just looked up your bike and even though it says integrated I don't think it is an integrated headset , the cups are pressed in and not integrated so you just need a new headset I think .

Where did you look up out of interest? I'm struggling to find info!

By new headset what do you mean? New bearings and cups? How does one remove/install the cup? (I presume the cup is the plastic thing the bearing sits in?)

Edit: After a look around it seems I'd need a press to install a new headset (is this same for a crane creek too?). As said I need a working bike by tomorrow evening as I'm back to working away for a month again and without the bike to go out on in the evening I'll likely go mad with boredom and jump off a bridge.

If it comes to it tomorrow would just a new caged bearing, and a lot of grease, at least get me going for a few weeks until I have time to sort a more permanent solution?

Edit 2: Just realised what you mean, remove the cups completely and the frame has a metal lip already which a cane creek would fit in. Do most LBS shops stock these if I get the size off the crane creek website?

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
U

User6179

According to Specialized my 2010 Tricross has 'Cage bearings integrated HS'

Today I removed the fork to grease the HS bearings as the steering was feeling very stiff, the actual caged ball bearing was pretty much dry and bent so that needs replacing. The piece the caged bearing sits in has cracked, see picture:

TPB8dZe.jpg

What are my options here, can I get a new caged bearing, grease it up, fit it and it'll be fine? Or does it need replacing, if so what do I need exactly?

I need the bike up and running by end of play tomorrow really, luckily I have 2 LBSs which are open tomorrow so should be able to buy bearings but not sure on anything else if it's model specific.

Thanks for any help
Mike

What model of Tricross do you have and I will give you the bearing codes ?

Attachments

• TPB8dZe.jpg
    TPB8dZe.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 50
U

User6179

Thanks, it's a 2010 Tricross Sports Triple.

ACB 36x45, 41mm OD x 6.5mm- Cane creek 873 , top and bottom is the same http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/produc...r122-1-18-acb-36-x-45-cc-headset-bearing.html
Your bike would have loose bearings with pressed in cups , apparently you can take out the pressed in cups and put in these bearings reusing the split rings as there is integrated cups below the pressed in ones , providing that's the pressed in cup that's cracked and not the integrated one below in the pic.

U

User6179

Your a really helpful guy Eddie. :okay: Tops

I am helping myself at the same time , my integrated cups are worn on my bike and I think I might be able to use the specialized Minset headset inside my Integrated headset as a fix as the specialized tricross and my bike both have the same sized cups :okay:

OP
OP
J

jenic

Über Member
ACB 36x45, 41mm OD x 6.5mm- Cane creek 873 , top and bottom is the same http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/produc...r122-1-18-acb-36-x-45-cc-headset-bearing.html
Your bike would have loose bearings with pressed in cups , apparently you can take out the pressed in cups and put in these bearings reusing the split rings as there is integrated cups below the pressed in ones , providing that's the pressed in cup that's cracked and not the integrated one below in the pic.

That's incredibly useful, and such a good solution as this is my winter/commuter bike (or will be when my new roadie comes later this month) so the sealed bearings should hold up well.

I've checked out the frame again and it's just the plastic cup that is cracked. Below the plastic cup there is a metal lip cast into the frame where I presume these new bearings would sit. Let's hope my LBS stocks the bearings!

Thanks again
Mike

U

User6179

That's incredibly useful, and such a good solution as this is my winter/commuter bike (or will be when my new roadie comes later this month) so the sealed bearings should hold up well.

I've checked out the frame again and it's just the plastic cup that is cracked. Below the plastic cup there is a metal lip cast into the frame where I presume these new bearings would sit. Let's hope my LBS stocks the bearings!

Thanks again
Mike

Yep , I didn't know such a headset existed , you can either put in those bearings or buy another Mindset headset with plastic cups ,whichever one your LBS has .
Am going to get the one with the plastic cups and see if it works in my bike as my Integrated cups have worn and I have play in the headset , would never have known I could do this before :okay:

OP
OP
J

jenic

Über Member
Yep , I didn't know such a headset existed , you can either put in those bearings or buy another Mindset headset with plastic cups ,whichever one your LBS has .
Am going to get the one with the plastic cups and see if it works in my bike as my Integrated cups have worn and I have play in the headset , would never have known I could do this before :okay:

Managed to get the bearings you mentioned from my LBS (and only a fiver each!)

Trouble is, the rings on the bottom and top of the fork sat in the top of the cup, where the new bearings now are. So these cannot be replaced. Is this right?

OP
OP
J

jenic

Über Member
I went and got a new split ring and dust cover/top hat. This replaces the old split ring, and separate dust cover and top hat. Additional spacers were then needed as the new top hat/dust cover combo was much shorter than the old separate affair.

All appears to be working perfectly now :smile:

U

User6179

I went and got a new split ring and dust cover/top hat. This replaces the old split ring, and separate dust cover and top hat. Additional spacers were then needed as the new top hat/dust cover combo was much shorter than the old separate affair.

All appears to be working perfectly now :smile:

The information from another site I got said just swap them over but I thought spacers might be needed as the plastic cups sit above the frame like a spacer , glad you got it sorted anyway , Headsets must be the most complicated part on a bike now , my bike does not have an after market headset , I have to buy the parts separate to make one up .

Top Bottom