Headset confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WalkerArkdown

Hi, I bought a new bike frame for my old suspension bicycle. I've taken everything of the old bike and put onto my new frame. So far everything has gone ok except for the rear disc brake and headset.

So the new frame doesn't have a disc brake bracket, so I have to buy an adapter to allow me to fit it. With abit of modifying I got it on and working.

Next is my headset. My old frame is a smaller diameter. So I need to by a new headset. The fork is currently a threaded stem but I'm hoping to use it as if it was threadless. I can't seem to find a headed that will fit? And getting confused with all the stem measurements out there.

The headset internal dia is 34mm and the stem of my fork is 22.2mm. when I try to search for one all I find is 34mm headers for a 1-1/8" stem which is 28.5mm. would this be ok for my bike of can you get ones for smaller steering stems??

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Sheldon Brown warns against any idea of using a threaded steerer with a threadless headset. There is too much stress on the steerer tube, weakened by the threading.
"It is a Very Bad Idea to install a threadless headset so the handlebar stem is supported by the threads of a threaded fork. The threaded section is not made to resist the stress from the stem and could break off, along with the stem and handlebars."
And anyway the new frame needs a 1 1/8" steerer (which will likely be threadless). New fork.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
More realistically, you need a new frame. A 1" threaded suspension fork will not be easy to find (Pace RC35 springs to mind if buying s/h). Getting one with the correct steerer length will be even harder.

MTBs went 1 1/8" before suspension firks became common.

Top Bottom