Headset drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beachy21855

Hi all, I’m looking for advice on the following:
Need to upgrade / replace headset on a Giant Roam Hybrid. It came with cage bearings which disintegrated after a few months normal riding.
I can’t seem to find any replacements!!:-(
Sizes are top cup O/S dia 42mm
Bottom cup O/S dia 47mm
1. 1/8 steering tube.
Most suppliers only seem to have tapered sets.
I have a set of bearings which are a sloppy fit at the above sizes, but no cups!! I am looking for a complete set including cups and fork collar?
Any help is much appreciated. TIA.
Beachy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would take it to your local bike shop and show them the problem.

Big John

Guru
If we're really talking about caged bearings and not sealed bearings then can't we simply put the right size loose ball bearings in like any other bike? I can't remember the last time I replaced like for like regarding caged bearings. I just put loose ones in and pack it with grease.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If we're really talking about caged bearings and not sealed bearings then can't we simply put the right size loose ball bearings in like any other bike? I can't remember the last time I replaced like for like regarding caged bearings. I just put loose ones in and pack it with grease.

I was thinking the same at one point, as long as you add a couple more ball bearings than were in the cage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
These look like caged bearings. All the Roams (0 1 2 3 ) are listed with the same headset.
Giant Roam Hybrid. It came with cage bearings
https://www.giantbikespares.com/component_finder.php?type=headset&year=2019
:welcome: LBS ftw I have just serviced a similar headset and replaced the disintegrating (lower) caged bearings with (iirc) 21 balls (did measure dia before going to LBS but not recorded, took one ball down: LBS had a jar full and charged <£1)
1688507763110.png

:welcome:

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom