headset fo royalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
What does a headset do that can be improved by installing one that costs $200 like a Chris King over an adequate one like an FSA that costs considerably less?
For - obviously :rolleyes:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Last a long time in a tandem.

Innovation, precision, quality, attention to detail, longevity and reputation.

However gone are the days that you keep things for decades. FSA does the job just fine and absolutely value for money.

young Ed

Veteran
not much, last a bit longer and better quality bearings etc probably. better made
although unless you're riding a £10,000 pinarello i wouldn't bother splashing out on a £200 chris king headset
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
I was wondering more about performance as I don't personally see, however perfect the bearings etc are, how this will effect comfort or performance.

young Ed

Veteran
the only time i have really felt any difference in bearings is between the cheap flat pedals with cheap shoot kncackered bearings (they seem to come kncackered from new or at least or horrible and notchy!) and the lovely smooth bearings in shimano spd and spd-sl pedals such as the m520's, just the right resistance yet totally smooth with no play but not too tight and no notchyness or grainyness :biggrin: :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

Drago

Legendary Member
Chris King are very good. Yet a proper Japanese made Tange headset - on the rare occasions they turn up over here - are every bit as durable, yet cost.cost under £30. The CK name has an asking price that is not justified by the standard of materials and engineering.

jack smith

Veteran
Difference? None apart from brag factor, i also dont see the point in their mega loud rear hubs that can only freewheel a few seconds before stopping due to the resistance making that noise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My DA headset cost over £70 many years ago. They are like rocking horse poo to get. It's nice and smooth and it is in line with the rest of my bike's components. The newer headsets are a doddle to sort, and you just replace the cartridge bearings. That said, my FSA headset has seen 6 years of commuting use. I've popped the seals a few times and regreased the cartridges. Can't complain (mudgurds fitted).

S.Giles

Top-end bicycle parts remind me of top-end Hi-Fi components in the following respect. They both cost the earth, but don't offer any tangible benefits that ordinary folk (such as myself) would appreciate. They do satisfy the desires of a particular kind of obsessive customer though, and are useful to the manufacturer as product-range flagships. The purple-prose marketing hyperbole used to describe them is entertaining, at least! (and free, so skinflints like me can have a cheap laugh!)

Tojo

Über Member
When I was in my teens the Gearing to have on your bike was Campag but I just couldn't afford it then, I Had to mix and match components. These days there is so much choice with bike components and even on the cheaper end parts they are quite durable with tolerances more consistent with CNC manufacturing giving better quality at a cheaper price......:thumbsup:

Top Bottom