Headset help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
The headset bearings on my cx bike were rusted and seizing a bit, the handlebars were stiff at points. I decided to tackle the job myself - ordered some replacement bearings which matched the old ones in sizes and dimensions. I did the job, put everything back together and adjusted to a point where I thought I was happy - the steering was nice. After a short ride, I noticed play in the headset cover (below the spacers, above the top headset bearing). So loosen the pinch bolts, added quarter turn to the top cap bolt, checked I’m happy with the lack of play, and tighten up the pinch bolts. Now the steering is too stiff again. I can’t seem to get it to the point where it’s not stiff but doesn’t have play - I’ve tried many many times and used very fine adjustments! Wondering if I’ve done something wrong or perhaps missing a shim or something? Bike is a focus mares cx in case that makes any difference! Any suggestions welcome please, before I put it in the car and go see my fantastic LBS!

Big John

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/5lSN9hWHIN4

Just spend a few minutes watching this to make sure you didn't miss anything when you did the job. Getting it just right can take a bit of time even for the most experienced fettlers on CC 👍

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati

View: https://youtu.be/5lSN9hWHIN4

Just spend a few minutes watching this to make sure you didn't miss anything when you did the job. Getting it just right can take a bit of time even for the most experienced fettlers on CC 👍

That video talks about a headset compression ring - I haven’t got one of those. Should there be one on every bike? Don’t know if maybe I lost it when I took the old bearings out without noticing.

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Yep that was it. No idea where it went or how I lost it. Original bearings were really shot, I wonder if the ring was attached and I chucked it by accident. All lovely and smooth now though thanks for your help.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom