Headset help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently updated my forks and I've put it all back together and now the forks seem to rock in between the frame, I can't understand why, the crown race is in, all bearings, compressed washer, seal and top seal with the stem, spacers and top cap on, tightened all up but still rocking!? Any help would be grateful!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Is the steerer the same length as the old one?

OP
OP
Scottkelly

Scottkelly

Regular
I think I chopped it to the same length yeah, I think I proper compression Ring as it sits on top of the bearing and when I tighten everthing up it slips under the bearing creating a gap

Cubist

Still wavin'
Without seeing your setup I'm struggling to think what the issues could be.

Did you put the crown race on snugly before trying to do everything up? You mention the compression ring. It should slide down and fill the gap between steerer and bearing face. Are you sure you got the right size bearings and cups?

Look at page two of this thread. On it I show fitting a new fork to a new headset.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dream-frame-just-landed.141834/page-2

OP
OP
Scottkelly

Scottkelly

Regular
Tapped the crown race down will a mallet and screwdriver evenly on each side, the headset is just a 15 quid one from halfords, the compression ring is just a plastic thin which I don't thing is adequate enough, 1 1/8th fork tube and headset. I'll grab a few pictures tomorrow mate

Top Bottom