Headset help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheMikeyWay89

Hi everyone, I have recently been looking into getting some new 26 inch 1 1/8 forks to change the look from threaded to threadless with some new bars and a stem but made the mistake of buying a 34mm headset which seems to be the same width as my headtube. Can anyone help out with which size I would need?

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_155729.jpg
    IMG_20200312_155729.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 4

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You have a 1 inch steerer tube, I think. You need a 1 inch steerer fork and a 1 inch threadless headset (EC30 in the confusing new terminology).

The headsets are a bit hard to find. A 1" threadless fork for an MTB is just about impossible to find. Most bikes moved to threadless at about the same time as 1 1/8" became the new normal. The only new bike I know with 1" threadless is a Moulton. There were some 1" threadless road bikes for a while in the 90s.

OP
OP
T

TheMikeyWay89

Thanks for the help roger! My bike is a boss covert from about 2016/17 I'm still a newbie at all this but least I have some parts for a better bike in the future. Thanks again for the help

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you measure the diameter of the stem where it enters the headset, 22.2mm means it's a 1 inch steerer. If the stem is 25.4mm, it's a 1 1/8" steerer. Yes, I know 25.4mm is one inch too, but that's coincidence!

Top Bottom