Headset installation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just bought this for my commuter:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44789

I realised, to install a part a headset press is needed, but can I get away installing it without a headset press? I remember when I got my new Genesis frame back, those cups had to be hammered in, my dad got abit of wood, put it on top and hammered them in, and all seemed fine.

So can I do the same and is it ok to do so?

Thanks
Will.

nigelb

Well, I've just done that with a hibred, just need to watch carefully and make sure the old parts ome out straight, without damaging the frame, and the new parts go in nice and true too.

Having said that, there was an evening's worth of swearing and cursing involved, and it took a while to settle down, but it all came out right in the end.

To be honest, the bigger battle is getting the right bits!
Its definitely not a case of "one size fits all" ....

Nige

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The standard way to get 'em out is to put a long screwdriver thru' the head tube and tap-tap-tap around the ridge they make inside the tube. A tap at 12 0' clock...one at 6, one at 3, one at 9...and so on...just gently work your way round, easing it bit by bit.

Ok thanks for that. I'll give it a go when I get the headset.

Whilst I'm on with this thread.

Any idea how my handlebars are managing to turn as if they're loose?I tighten em pretty damn tight, then a couple of commutes later they're not in line with the wheel. And there is no play and they seem pretty tight!!

02GF74

Über Member
^^^^ yep , wot he said. or use a long punch or drift if you don;t have a sctew driver.

a simple press is to get a length of studding, M8 should be enough, a pair of penny wasters and nut and use that as a puller.

GilesM

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
^^^^ yep , wot he said. or use a long punch or drift if you don;t have a sctew driver.

a simple press is to get a length of studding, M8 should be enough, a pair of penny wasters and nut and use that as a puller.

Use this method, much safer that the hammer and blocks of wood, and much easier to make sure the cups are going in square, alternatively, just use a vice, this is okay if you have most of the other components off of the frame, especially the rear wheel. The tricky one is the crown race guide on the forks, much easier to get into place without the proper tooling, unless you get a new headset with a split crown race guide, these are perfect and go on very easily.

tyred

Legendary Member
To fit the crown race, my preferred method would be to use a 2' length of steel pipe of internal diameter of slightly more than 1" and slide it over the steerer and use it to tap the crown race into place.

Top Bottom