Headset replacement help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spacer

Regular
Hi,
I have a Cannondale R-1000 from the year 2000. I need to change the fork and headset. Old headset was a Cane Creek S2.. can someone tell me what type this is: External, internal, Semi-integrated? I know it's a 1-1/8" stem. For the fork I am looking at a Cannondale Synapse en 1”1/8, 100% carbone found online- it's "used" but uncut all carbon, they guy says it's new- as in neve rused. It's expensive 145 US dollars (135 euros). Any reactions to that price? Even though it's a road bike I'd like to clear gravel tires on the front (the back takes 28mm tires , i was thinking of going slightly thicker in front maybe just 30 or 32, is that a terrible idea?

I am doing road touring with this bike. adding maybe 30- 35 pounds to my 185. It worked fine last summer for a 800 mile trip in France.

Thanks

Attachments

• Headset O'Brien damage.jpeg
    Headset O'Brien damage.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 10

iluvmybike

Über Member
The cane Creek S2 is a bog standard 1 1/8th" external headset

iluvmybike

Über Member
You may struggle with frame clearance if fitting 32mm wide tyres. What plans for carrying your 35 lbs of luggage as I don't think there are any pannier fittings on it as it is a pure road bike?

OP
OP
Spacer

Spacer

Regular
Yep external, it’ll be about $10 per headset bearing. Cheap as chips.
Cool! So the race which sits on the fork is changed as well? Or replaced by the cartridge? I guess I'll figure that part out..In any case it sounds like you and Rogerzilla just saved me loads of cash! Thanks!

OP
OP
Spacer

Spacer

Regular
You may struggle with frame clearance if fitting 32mm wide tyres. What plans for carrying your 35 lbs of luggage as I don't think there are any pannier fittings on it as it is a pure road bike?
I figured that part out already: combo I like the beam rack because it comes off quickly to get in an out of trains, but I added some tubes of my own at bottom to carry the extra load. Looks dorky but works.

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7880.JPG
    IMG_7880.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Spacer

Spacer

Regular
Race is generally left alone as the parts that wear are inside the cartridge bearing.
Ming, Thanks for taking time to reply. I am new to this as you can tell. If you look at the photo I posted , can you tell if all I need is to replace the bearings? For example the bearing cups seem worn- I thought that the ball bearings were in direct contact with these. Perhpas even if they are worn, the cartridge means I can re-use them...I don't know if other parts are worn: the former bearings were loose, so now I need to spec cartridges. What of all the other rings and stuff which were in the original build (see photo here)? Do cartridges replace all that as well? The cup dimensions show 41 mm according to my calipers. So would this bearing do? https://www.probikeshop.fr/roulemen...UZpfWkhWorNIfY7Yj4wtWNJde4ZcaArodEALw_wcB:G:s

Do I get the same one for top and bottom?

Peter

Attachments

• Headset O'Brien damage lt2.jpg
    Headset O'Brien damage lt2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Spacer

Spacer

Regular
All the rotating wear surfaces are in the cartridges. There is some rocking movement between the cartridges and cups/crown but these generally don't wear.

Cane Creek sell original quality cartridges for this headset, or there are cheaper alternatives: https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m49b0s...eek-S2-Replacement-Cartridge-Headset-Bearings
Thanks. I think that the fact that my old headset had loose bearings, and they really dug into the cups likely means I need to replace cups even if cartridge bearings just sit against them...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I figured that part out already: combo I like the beam rack because it comes off quickly to get in an out of trains, but I added some tubes of my own at bottom to carry the extra load. Looks dorky but works.
despite the load bearing "tube(s)" I would use an alloy seat post with that arrangement, as the clamp will be putting "unusual!" forces onto a carbon post which may or may not overstress it.

Having a 30 or 32mm tyre up front will certainly help with comfort and loading. Could you squeeze a 30mm on the rear or is it tight with a 28mm?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Thanks. I think that the fact that my old headset had loose bearings, and they really dug into the cups likely means I need to replace cups even if cartridge bearings just sit against them...
That's probably a good idea then. If a lot of abrasive dirt gets between the cartridges and cups it will also cause wear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a Cannondale R-1000 from the year 2000. I need to change the fork and headset.
Don't replace the bearings unless they are rough/notchy/corroded. Nothing the OP has said suggests any of that.
I missed the reason for changing the fork - just asking?
Take care that the offset (some people refer to that as 'trail') on the new fork is the same as the current one.
The spec of the new fork should specify how wide a tyre you can run. Bear in mind there'll be some lateral flexing when honking up hills and that there may be a limitation on height underneath the brake calipers. With 112kg load (rider + bike + luggage) you'll have these tyres at decent pressure which will add a mm to the specc'ed dimensions (make/model of tyre dependent).
As for 35lbs of luggage on a beam rack + panniers: forget it.
A carbon seat post and a beam rack are poor bedfellows.

Top Bottom