Headset replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
There are some funny goings on going on with my headset, I have checked and found a rough patch on
one of the bearing surfaces so I need to replace it.
1) how do I find out which headset I need
2) what would be a good quality set better than the obviously cheap unit I have but cheaper than Chris King
3) I have never done this before and will probably only do it the once so buying the right tools doesn't make sense
there is no LBS I trust so is it doable without the tools? Open to other suggestions too.

migrantwing

Veteran
Type 'headset finder' on Google. It should help.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Headsets come in two broad types

a) Traditional - the bearing races are outside the head tube.

b) Modern - bearings inside the headtube
(I) Cup installed within headtube - semi-integrated headset.
or
(II) No cup - bearings rest on ledge within the head tube - integrated headset

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are some funny goings on going on with my headset, I have checked and found a rough patch on
one of the bearing surfaces so I need to replace it.
1) how do I find out which headset I need
2) what would be a good quality set better than the obviously cheap unit I have but cheaper than Chris King
3) I have never done this before and will probably only do it the once so buying the right tools doesn't make sense
there is no LBS I trust so is it doable without the tools? Open to other suggestions too.
Hope.
http://www.hopetech.com/products/controls/headsets/

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't underestimate the value of a good headset, IMO they are one of the most undervalued parts of a bike - the bearings are the small bridge between frame and fork and have big a job of work to do. Having had a variety of headsets over the years I have to say I'm extremely impressed by the utter smoothness and solidity off the external hope bearings on my Custom Rourke. Like silk.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Right. A few photos might help to identify which headset it is as you need one that fits your headtube. They come in several different types, so you need to know which one fits.

First, what happens when you take the fork out? Does the bottom bearing cartridge pop out easily, might need prying out if it's gungy? If it does, clean it up and look at the details etched on the outside. I suspect yours is an integrated Orbit type, for a straight head tube and 1 1/8" standard steerer. If this is the case it's the simplest one to work with. There are no actual headset cups, they should form part of the headtube, and the bearing simply presses into the cups machined or bonded within the headtube with your thumbs. Measure the width of the lower bearing recess (internal diameter) . The number of standards is confusing and you need to be absolutely certain before you go ordering. If it is the standard 44mm one it'll be an angular contact bearing, and this will form part of the details etched on the outer side of the bearing cartridge. The FSA Orbit integrated one should be 45degrees. You can order replacement bearings I believe, although given the prices it might be just as easy to order the entire headset, as this will come with new seal covers and a new crown race for your fork.

Does your headset have a brake cable guide on the top cover?

As for the crown race being rough, do you mean the crown race bearing, or the crown race attached to your fork? If that's rough or pitted you might be able to clean it up using fine wet'n'dry, or you may need to remove it (you can prise it off using a small slot headed screwdriver) and replace it with a new one. Again, a home workshop bodge is to use the plastic accessory pipe from a vacuum cleaner as a slide hammer to ram it in place.

A good value and excellent quality replacement for an integrated headset would be a Hope. They even have the advantage of a split crown race, which can be fitted and removed by hand rather than needing special tools or hoover pipes.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Thanks Cubist you gave me the information I needed and the confidence to look deeper, I took it all apart (the headset is a 1 1/8 integrated) then sanded and polished the crown race and greased everything before putting ir back and everything is fine but not perfect. I will get a Hope set fitted later.

Cubist

Still wavin'
With your new found confidence, you may benefit from refreshing the grease in the bottom bearing cartridge. Whip it out and use a fine point such as a dental pick to lift out the fibre seal. Use a solvent to flush out any old grease, let it dry before replenishing the grease and replacing the seal. The seal will press back into place using the pick carefully, or an electrical screwdriver. Enjoy your new workshop skills!

Top Bottom