Headset Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Merry Christmas everyone!
Currently in process of very amateur building of a TT bike. I need to get a headset. Put the bike model in on Cane Creek headest finder and it gives me these stats: Upper = IS 41/28.6 Lower = IS 41/30. Unfortunately, it doesn't go as far as actually then showing you specific headsets which would fit. My frame came without a headset fitted, but according to spec it was fsa orbit 1 - 1/8" 36°/45°. Been recommended that FSA Orbit 1.5 zs (no. 57) will fit, but just wanted to check with some more experienced types that this would actually fit my bike, before I but it as cheapest ones all come from Taiwan. Here is a link from Wiggle website for the headset (suggested to me by an advisor from Ribble)
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-orbit-15-zs-headset-no57-1/

Last edited:
Getting a headset for an "empty" frame isn't difficult. You jut need to know the fork steerer diameter and the top and bottom ID of the head tube.

Your fork is probably 1 1/8th inch but it may be 1 1/2 at the bottom if the steerer is tapered. Measure it or show a picture here with something we can reference against.

Secondly, measure the ID of the head tube at the top and the bottom. They could be the same if the fork is not tapered, but will differ if the fork is tapered.

Use those dimensions to find a suitable headset. The bearing angle, i.e. the 36 degree/45 degree business is irrelevant until you need to buy replacement bearings for an existing headset.

Don't be surprised if you have to buy two 1/2 headsets. This is common nowadays, but in the old days, i.e. for 1" non-tapered forks, not even a possibility.

Last edited:
Top Bottom