Headset Search Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tartanpimpernel

hi all,

have been searching around on some old threads on here but nothing quite seemed to answer the headset questions I have.

I've also tried all the headset finders I could find online as well as reading all the info on the park, cane-creek, King & FSA websites but with no luck...

I tried my LBS but they just shrugged their shoulders, and said I could order & buy some headsets but with no guarantee they would be compatible...?!

my frame runs an integrated headset setup with both top & bottom being 42mm ID

I want to run a tapered CF fork that have which has a Crown-Race Seat Diameter of 1.5"

I cant seem to find a suitable lower tapered headset which will fit into the lower ID which is 42mm ( most seem to be 47-52mm )

could be its just a noob error, but hoping someone can put me out of my misery....

any help/suggestions gratefully received

-c-

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would try a different LBS if there is one. I had to source an unknown 1'1/8 to 1'1/4 integrated headset. The first LBS I took it to wasn't interested, the other LBS near me took it away and eventually identified it would take an FSA. Some shops won't be that diligent as they don't see a huge amount of profit in it.

PpPete

Legendary Member
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that your frame is incompatible with tapered headset/fork.
If there was an appropriate headset the bearings would have to be absolutely minute.

OP
OP
Tartanpimpernel

Tartanpimpernel

Thanks guys for your input

going off down to another LBS tomorrow to see what they have to say, as PpPete like you say it might be the forks I have just arent compatible with the frame in which case they will be appearing on the f/s section soon! :laugh:

I have had a few pm's about caged bearing and loose bearing setups so will investigate them as well.

cheers

-c-

Just to expand on what Pete said - 1.5" is 40mm near as damn it. So if you only have 42mm ID then there is simply no way you can get a sealed bearing unit in that space. Caged and loose bearings need a race - ie semi-integrated or integrated cups - so they are out of the equation.

OP
OP
Tartanpimpernel

Tartanpimpernel

thanks both Petes, just dug out my digital calipers and didnt realise the tolerances were so tight...

looks like I'd best seek out a non tapered CF fork for my frame

thanks again all

-c-

Top Bottom