Headset wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've noticed my tourer is devloping a case of loose headset. Tightening it helped for a bit but it has started to rock slightly when braking after only a week. Is this a matter of replacing bearings or is there a simpler solution?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends, what type, if aheadset with cartridge bearings, just replace, but check the races aren't worn or loose.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it can't be tightened without binding or contantly loosening itself again, the head tube and fork crown probably need facing. I reckon about half the steel frames I've had needed this. The builder assumes the retailer will do it, and the retailer assumes the builder has done it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cutting the top and bottom of the head tube flat and parallel, and cutting the crown race seat so it is flat and at 90 deg to the steerer. Any good bike shop can do it in about 20 minutes.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If it can't be tightened without binding or contantly loosening itself again, the head tube and fork crown probably need facing. I reckon about half the steel frames I've had needed this. The builder assumes the retailer will do it, and the retailer assumes the builder has done it.

Wouldn't this particular problem show up quite early on when fairly new.
I'm assuming that @Andy in Germany has had this bike for sometime.

Top Bottom