Front tire wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

indigodave

I am trying to figure out what is causing my front tire to wobble at all speeds. I've eliminated the tightness of the flange so I don't know what to do now. Anyone have any tips for me?

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:When you check it (possibly upside down) and assuming rim brakes (not disc), as the wheel goes round, does the gap between the brake blocks and the rim vary? Edit: And sideways movement when stationary?
If it does then the wheel/rim is out of true and needs trueing or the hub is loose. If not it's the tyre not properly seated.
Have you removed and reinstalled the wheel in the fork dropouts yet?
Have you removed and refitted the tyre yet? QR lever, nuts or thru-axle?
"eliminated the tightness of the flange" not understood. How did you do this?

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As above. The tyre is possibly not seated on the rim correctly, or the rim is slightly buckled, or a bit of both.

Bristolian

Is it just the tyre that's wobbling or the wheel as well. If you hold onto the tyre can you move the wheel side-to-side? I'm just wondering if the front hub bearings are loose.

the snail

Guru
It could be a failed tyre carcass, poorly seated tyre or a problem with the rim, spokes or hub. You need to work out what is actually wobbling, then why.

OP
OP
I

indigodave

:welcome:When you check it (possibly upside down) and assuming rim brakes (not disc), as the wheel goes round, does the gap between the brake blocks and the rim vary? Edit: And sideways movement when stationary?
If it does then the wheel/rim is out of true and needs trueing or the hub is loose. If not it's the tyre not properly seated.
Have you removed and reinstalled the wheel in the fork dropouts yet?
Have you removed and refitted the tyre yet? QR lever, nuts or thru-axle?
"eliminated the tightness of the flange" not understood. How did you do this?

Hey all... My initial post was vague due to my having a good working understanding of bicycle mechanics but lacking the language. Sorry about that, however I got some great direction from everyone and I'm truly digging this forum. I try to do all maintenance and repair work so I'm jazzed at finding a Q&A spot
Much Gratitude to everyone who responded... 👍.
On to the biz. I have a PEDAGO Element V1(eBike) with almost 6k on it and I'm beginning to have routine maintenance issues but the wobble was a bit out of my skill level. And he said that I actually did my own troubleshooting and whittled it down to one of two things that I personally think it is a result of and that is the front tire quick release flange assembly headset bearings. I actually narrowed it down to these two things simply because observation kind of pointed all in that direction and so I figured it had to be one of those too. I still think it is one of them the one being the headset bearings because not only does it wobble but also has a slight pull to one side or the other when riding usually occurring mostly at low speed. The other suggestions though do merit looking into and I'll tell you why. The reason being that I recently went through a bad couple of months where I kept blowing my tire energy tired by the way. I went through each tires and a period of 2 months and each time I was taking it to a bike shop because I had severed an energy related to something else that I wasn't able to do the work myself so I was spending money hand over fist. I never did figure out why that was happening so much and it was front and rear tire doing it so I finally put heavy duty inner tubes on and filled it full of slime and I had no trouble since. Back to the headset...
I plan on replacing the bearings myself and I watched a YouTube video and I can and I will also watch a couple more before I actually do this because I seem to remember when I was a kid you had some involvement of hammering the bearing assembly into place and I want to make sure I see that done before I try it but in any case that's where I am with this and if I can't take a video of the actual wobble I will try to and then post it can I do that?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Let's have another go. Please answer these questions:
  • When you check it (possibly upside down) and assuming rim brakes (not disc), as the wheel goes round, does the gap between the brake blocks and the rim vary? Edit: And sideways movement when stationary?
  • If it does then the wheel/rim is out of true and needs trueing or the hub is loose. If not it's the tyre not properly seated.
  • Have you removed and reinstalled the wheel in the fork dropouts yet?
  • Have you removed and refitted the tyre yet? (You've said it has a QR lever.)
  • Element Kenda Black Wall 20” x 4.0” 20 psi
  • "eliminated the tightness of the flange" not understood. Describe how you did this!
The headset are the two bearings at the top and bottom of the headtube and the symptoms are not like those described in the OP. You can check whether the headset is loose (or otherwise needs attention) by standing beside the bike, gripping the bars applying downward pressure, operating the front brake (lever) and trying to push the bike forwards and pull it backwards. If it clunks around there's an issue. But I think that when you say "the front tire quick release flange assembly headset bearings" you mean the front wheel's hub's bearings.
1701377564634.png

OP
OP
I

indigodave

As above. The tyre is possibly not seated on the rim correctly, or the rim is slightly buckled, or a bit of both.

I'm leaning towards your offering as the most probable reason based on what's been happening.
I have a Pedego element e-bike and I contacted the Pedego dealer/service provider nearby and they recommended total replacement of the entire rear wheel assembly based on the conditions that I shared with them. So we'll see I just can't be overwhelmed with hundreds of dollars of bike repair right now so I'm hoping it's something that at least I can do myself I have a full tool set

OP
OP
I

indigodave

Okay well now I'm fully confused. I've had plenty of suggestions as to what it could be causing the wobble and as I alluded to in my previous posting I'm even being told that it is a result of the rear tire being out of true which is quite possible anyway because the spokes are loose and clattering as I ride. I purchased this from someone who was the original owner with a non-transferable 5-year warranty and I'm working on getting that person to proxy the bike into the repair shop so that I don't have to get hit with a massive bill right now

Okay well now I'm fully confused. I've had plenty of suggestions as to what it could be causing the wobble and as I alluded to in my previous posting I'm even being told that it is a result of the rear tire being out of true which is quite possible anyway because the spokes are loose and clattering as I ride. I purchased this from someone who was the original owner with a non-transferable 5-year warranty and I'm working on getting that person to proxy the bike into the repair shop so that I don't have to get hit with a massive bill right now

Try and define your wobble a bit better. For instance, it is something you feel in the handlebars whilst riding? Pedalling? Freewheeling? Is it something you can see when you pick up the front of the bike and spin the wheel? Is it a mechanical click-clack you can feel when moving the wheel sideways? If you spin the wheel and look at the gap between the fork and wheel or wheel and brakepads, that uneven as the wheel turn?

Try not to diagnose it but focus on when and how. I'm sure we can solve the issue.

richardfm

Veteran
This thread started with the problem being in the front tyre, then moved to the headset and now it's the rear tyre (or more likely the rear wheel).

I'm confused.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This thread started with the problem being in the front tyre, then moved to the headset and now it's the rear tyre (or more likely the rear wheel).
Richard
I asked the OP simple questions 'twice' which they've failed to answer, I assume deliberately, since they have shared "now I'm fully confused". Instead heading off, with variable terminology, to 'it might be this or that'.
"I . . . did my own troubleshooting and whittled it down to one of two things . . . the front tire quick release flange assembly headset bearings. I actually narrowed it down to these two things simply because observation kind of pointed all in that direction" (the second 'thing' is unclear!) Perhaps I'm being unfair but it doesn't seem to me the OP has the mechanical understanding to link observation with cause, but they have watched a few videos. I suggest it is not difficult to remove and refit the front wheel, and look forward to hearing the OP say they have done this.
(edited) "[It] is quite possible the wobble . . . is a result of the rear [wheel] being out of true . . . because the spokes are loose and clattering as I ride"
If the clause you emboldened above (and I've rephrased) is true (and the last word) then clearly the OP's first action is to procure a spoke key that fits and true the (?40 spoke) wheel.
@indigodave please answer the questions in my post #8 above.
Or you might find that the e-bike sub-forum will empathise with these issues.

Top Bottom