Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I was wanting to replace/service the headset on my caad8 bike.I use this in all weather's and noticing more and more rust coloured residue seeping down front forks area.Anyone got any tips advice

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Does the heasdet turn nicely or is it stiff and notchy @Fnaar

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Use soft-covered plant ties to strap the handlebars to the frame to avoid having it all bouncing on the cables while you're removing the forks. A winch or maintenance stand will be very useful but don't hold the bike so high that the fork can fall completely out without you lifting the frame. Have a second bike handy to go get the right bearings. Other than that, it'll all be on websites or videos.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
No it turns fine,there's a tiny amount of 'play' in it when rocking back and forth.Just thought maybe I'd service replace.Gets ridden all year round in all sorts of weather.As it should !

Tangoup51

I noticed that on my old roadie. The bearings did feel pretty miserable, but aslong as it's all tight it'll be sound.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You may get away with taking them out cleaning/greasing and re-installing them.
Never mind getting away with it - if it's the sort of bike where the bearings are serviceable, it's a good idea and will reward you with a nicer feeling and longer service life. (As opposed to sealed cartridge bearings which it seems like you may as well ride until they feel awful and then replace.)

lpretro1

And if it's an integrated headset then important to do so regularly - you can't afford to wear the bearing seats or it's bye bye frame!

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for all the advice appreciate it but......took forks this morning and top bearing seems,ok but bottom was fu....d.I put.back together for now but which ones do I need ? Looked on wiggle etc but there's loads of different ones ?

Tangoup51

Thanks for all the advice appreciate it but......took forks this morning and top bearing seems,ok but bottom was fu....d.I put.back together for now but which ones do I need ? Looked on wiggle etc but there's loads of different ones ?

Take it into your local Lbs and they'll order the right ones. If you've got an integrated headset you could skip this if you found your exact bearings online, but generally speaking you still need the ones with the right taper angles for that.

All-in-All just take it into your Lbs and let them buy you the right replacements.

davidphilips

Veteran
Unless some one has changed the bearings on a caad8 it would be hard to say, On the old bearings are there any numbers if so thats the part number of the bearings required if not then you need to measure them or take them to a bike shop to measure/compare them.

Sorry Tangroup51 just seen your reply i was in the middle of something when replying.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks I stupidly should have photographed them whilst apart ! I put them back together now.A job for another day now

gbb

Legendary Member
When you say the bottom ones are fubar'd....youd be surprised. I stripped a headset for the same reason, rusty staining after some bad weather cycling....dear God, there was little lube left, just gunge and some pretty poorly looking bearings. Strip, tborough clean, work a load of grease in...they lasted another few years.

Top Bottom