Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JAYPEE

Good day,
I have bike with old style h.set, champag chorus but recently had a prang and bent the forks so i plan on changing from steel to carbon, can i use my existing h.set which is in good order or do have to go for a new fangled jobby. I have some mechanical knowlege so should be able to fit it!

cheers.
Is it me or are the roads harder than they were?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
As long as you are not going from threaded to A-head then you should be fine.
and
if its a carbon steerer you might need to use a 'bung' rather than a star fangled nut

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think it's unlikely that you will be able to find a set of new carbon forks with a threaded steerer. I might be wrong, but I would still question whether it is worth hunting a pair down just to re-use your headset.

I think you would be better off going with an A-Head, threadless fork and enjoying the benefit of having more choice of forks, and being able to adjust your headset with an allen key instead of a pair of enormous spanners. In my experience, the threadless headsets last longer because they are easier to adjust properly and as a result, get stripped down and lubed far more frequently. I think threadless headsets are one of the 'improvements' made to bikes that really are an improvement.

Top Bottom