Headstock threads advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

angusc

I have a 1970's Raleigh racer with the biggest (25") frame. However, the nut which goes onto the frame to tighten the headstock spindle (sorry if exact terminology here wrong) will not tighten / stay tight. I've 2 problems: Firstly it's not obvious visibly if it's the nut thread or the thread on the frame that is worn out; secondly I can't source a replacement nut to try.

If it's not the nut, does anyone know how to rethread / where to get a suitable replacement undersize nut thereafter / who could do it etc....

Thanks.

Angus.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a 1970's Raleigh racer with the biggest (25") frame. However, the nut which goes onto the frame to tighten the headstock spindle (sorry if exact terminology here wrong) will not tighten / stay tight. I've 2 problems: Firstly it's not obvious visibly if it's the nut thread or the thread on the frame that is worn out; secondly I can't source a replacement nut to try.

If it's not the nut, does anyone know how to rethread / where to get a suitable replacement undersize nut thereafter / who could do it etc....

Thanks.

Angus.
There should be 2 nuts and a washer between, one adjusts the bearing and the other locks against it so you need 2 spanners.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can you back the nut right off to inspect the threads beneath? If the nut's goosed finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult; if the thread on the steerer tube is knackered I strongly suspect it's game-over for the fork.

If you want to inspect the threads on the nut (assuming it'll come off the steerer tube) you should be able to remove the quill / stem by removing the centre bolt and lifting it all clear, allowing you to lift the nut free of the steerer tube for a better look.

Good luck :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Worth noting that vintage Raleighs have proprietary 26tpi threads for fork/headset, the modern standard being 24tpi. If replacement nut/lockring is needed, best to seek out Raleigh type, which I think are easy enough to find.
It could be either, Raleigh had differing standards between the Nottingham built bikes and the Worksop (Carlton) high end models.

Top Bottom