Headtube size, adjustable stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Samyo

Über Member
Im wondering how much rise Ill get from a 0degree stem, compared to a 7degree stem would the front end rise 1cm? 0.5cm? Its a 19.5m headtube and I have 1cm space under it and I think its too low for me Obviously I dont want to go to high with this adjustable stem that I've ordered as it will look odd... Is it possible to get another steerer, or Do I need to replace the whole forks?

Today I notice my neck had less pain compared to a lower one I had been using but I also shortend the reach aswell...

What headtube sizes do you 6ft 3 riders use?

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
How much height you gain depends on long the stem is.
Another way of raising the handle bars is to fit a steerer tube extender.

Sallar55

Veteran
Same height , always buy a bike after checking the headtube/ steerer length. Best bet is buy a frame if you are tall , uncut steerer helps getting size right ,you can't add spacers if it's cut. Road bike headtube 214 mm,XL frame.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Im wondering how much rise Ill get from a 0degree stem, compared to a 7degree stem would the front end rise 1cm? 0.5cm? Its a 19.5m headtube and I have 1cm space under it and I think its too low for me Obviously I dont want to go to high with this adjustable stem that I've ordered as it will look odd... Is it possible to get another steerer, or Do I need to replace the whole forks?

Today I notice my neck had less pain compared to a lower one I had been using but I also shortend the reach aswell...

What headtube sizes do you 6ft 3 riders use?

The biggest one I can get!

Your note is a little confusing. It depends on the reach vs height that you want, and you can get a little leeway by moving the saddle too.

I've got one bike with a whopping length high angle stem to get the right position, can't remember the exact model but something like this https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/vorbauten/sub/ahead-vorbau/produkt/high-piranha-2-31-8.html

I'd recommend using the adjustable stem to find out the right position, then replace with an appropriate fixed one to get the same position. Adjustable ones always have some give and are awful as a result IMO. As others have noted, solutions incl risers are also available.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Plane parallel to the ground, starting at the stem mount (b), the stem itself (c), and the distance between stem end and the plane mentioned at the start (a) form a triangle. Knowing the headtube angle, stem length and angle, you can calculate the length of (a) using methods you learned in secondary school.

A 7 degree difference in stem angle, on a 100mm stem, will result in handlebar height difference in the region of 12mm (+/- dependant on headtube angle).

Last edited:
Top Bottom