Headwinds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

don't you hate them??!

the ones round here are particularly vicious... I dont know if it's because it's a flat part of the country or what, but they're always there!

I cannot remember the last time I commuted (either way) without a strong headwind. does the wind change direction at lunch time just so it can try and slow me down on my homeward leg later on in the day? or am just being a wimp and it's not all that windy after all.

I'm just about to leave to battle again... wish me luck!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Can you get them sorted out for next week, Dudi? At the very least get some that don't have uninterrupted access to me and my bike all the way from The Urals!

EmGee DK

Good luck :becool:

Where I live its a constant battle against the wind. Its very flat, only 7 miles from the North Sea and no hills or forests to give you shelter. I try to remind my self that its best training you can have. Like most others I plan my trips according to the forecast - going out against the wind and home with it. If you somehow ended up in Gods little book of pranks and he changes the direction just to make sure you have to go against it, I think I would go by bus :idea: I find its all about finding the right pace and the right gear and just accept its gonna take a while.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The last two commutes (homeward last night, and inwards this morning) have had strong headwinds 'round my way.

All good resistance training, I suppose :becool:

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

looking outside now, just about to leave and I can see the trees swaying, buffeted by the wind. and I can tell you now, that the direction of the wind is for a headwind along the quickest route to work. I think I'll have a go at a slightly longer (possibly more sheltered) route in today.

Rich, I'll let you know what the wind is like where you're going on saturday. it's a nice sheltered road you'll be going on and it's normally very calm.

MarkF

Guru
Had yesterday afternoon off and went for my longest ride of this spring, a lovely 15 mile jaunt along the Leeds/Liverpool canal and then, it being a lovely wind-free day, I decided to push on, did another maybe 10 road miles to Skipton.:angry:

Had a pasty and choc in Skipton and set off back into a real out of the blue, ball breaker of a headwind:sad: All the way back, my thighs are killing me:angry:

domtyler

Über Member
Such a strong headwind last night going home from work into the suburbs of East London, a real battle, I was more exhausted when I got home than I have been for a long long time.

This morning it was completely still though and the difference was marked, almost like gliding along on rails.

Maz

Guru
Strong headwind on the way back last night. Really p1ssed me off making such slow progress.
This morning, though, felt like I was flying.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Dudi stop being such a wuss and pedal harder. There may have been a mild breeze this morning our way but last month was much worse.

nid

'Nobody knows the wind,
Neither you nor I,
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.'

I'm not sure excactly how that helps, but it might give you something to think about on your way home....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't do anything about the wind - hard one way, fast the other, unless it changes direction, then headwind all the way. The only wind I don't like are the gusty ones, 'cos you can get blown all over. That said, strong winds can give you a 55 mph descent of Woodhead Pass :biggrin:, followed by a 6 mph slog back over the Snake Pass in Derbyshire :biggrin: ! Fun ! ;)

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

pff, well, must have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning... had a terrible cob on today until about an hour ago...

they're not that bad really, are they... don't know what i was moaning about. true they make you strong, or at least they certainly seem to! cruising along on a flat road with a slight tail-wind on the way home had to slow down to avoid overtaking cars at 30-35mph!

off out for 50-60 miles tomorrow.. really looking forward to it!

Off to mow the lawn now

Top Bottom