Health, Fatness and Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well it is all going pretty well....

pint of water when I get up, along with my various meds and supplements
cup of strong black coffee
hit the road
shower at work get changed
second coffee and a couple of Nature Valley granola bars and a banana
third coffee at 11ish
sandwich - chicken breast on brown - no mayo, a yoghurt, and an apple for lunch - pint of water
another sandwich - again no mayo-ey stuff for a mid-afternoon snack, another hit of nature valley
half hour before leaving work another pint of water
ride home
(tues and thurs - go to jogging club and run about a bit, mon, weds, and sun gym)
evening meal with half a plate of salad no dressing and a calorie counted main based on balance of calories available on myfitnesspal*
decaff coffee made with milk and four 'squares' of chocolate for pudding
bed

*which I'm told overestimates calorie burn rate on cycling so I'm logging all cycling as one exertion/speed step below reality to compensate.

Anyway, 10 bike commutes of 20km a week on this regime, no jelly legs, still nail it on 4 of these per week, no feeling faint, even managed to go to the pub twice in the last week and stayed on the lime and soda. Sobriety is an interesting journey.

feel thinner, looking thinner, hills getting easier (to the extent I've just ordered a new chain ring to upgrade the gearing on the fixed) scales don't lie and say I am getting thinner.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
One climbed, soberly and thoughtfully, off the wagon on Saturday night as we were entertaining. I allowed myself the cheese course and a desert, and drank three glasses of wine and a large Talisker at the meal's end. (over 5 hours so pretty good going by my normal glug, glug, glug standards)

One climbed back on the wagon on Sunday.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Without wishing to derail the thread too much, I often think about climbing off the wagon. Unfortunately I think I'm still at the stage where I'd just beat myself up about it the next day.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Without wishing to derail the thread too much, I often think about climbing off the wagon. Unfortunately I think I'm still at the stage where I'd just beat myself up about it the next day.
My on wagon travels are strictly temporary, unless, once off the wagon post diet, my drinking gets more out of control again than I'm comfortable with in which case I may have to think about a permanent seat on there.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Well it is all going pretty well....

second coffee and a couple of Nature Valley granola bars and a banana.

Good going, I know you didn't ask but I dropped those bars for two reason firstly it pished me off that they are packed in 2's and secondly the second on the list is plain old sugar quite high in fat as well. You could have similar to your lunch and be way better off.

Anyway it is working so I don't know why I am butting my nose in. ^_^

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good going, I know you didn't ask but I dropped those bars for two reason firstly it pished me off that they are packed in 2's and secondly the second on the list is plain old sugar quite high in fat as well. You could have similar to your lunch and be way better off.

Anyway it is working so I don't know why I am butting my nose in. ^_^
Butt away. That's the point of forum thread's. If I didn't want input I wouldn't post stuff.

Nature Valley bars are not anywhere near a perfectly balanced foodstuff.... but I like them.:wacko:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For some reason felt compelled to mount the scales this morning. Fourteen-and-a-half stone. So that's one down and slightly more than half of one to go. Time to stiffen the sinew, summon up the blood and focus the mind I think, as this is usually the point/weight where, in the past I've lost interest and the bounce-back has started.

Daughter and live-in boyfriend have joined my gym. Apparently we are to visit together this winter.

VamP

Banned
Good going. Now would be a good time to post a good benchmark time on your favourite hill to help with the motivation as the nights draw in and the food gets yummy(er).

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good going. Now would be a good time to post a good benchmark time on your favourite hill to help with the motivation as the nights draw in and the food gets yummy(er).
what is this strange 'favourite hill' of which you speak?

I have no favourites, I hate them all equally.

abgailnelson

There really is no need to run at midnight.

I quote from an article on metabolic rate & exercise :

Most studies that have found an elevated resting metabolic rate have made their measurements within 24 hours of the exercise session. One investigation found that any post-exercise increase in RMR faded between 24 and 39 hours. Looking at the information available at present, it seems that to SIGNIFICANTLY boost energy expenditure after exercise, the activity needs to be intense (over 70% VO2max) and prolonged (over 90 minutes); the effect will be most pronounced in the first 12 hours post-exercise.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0120.htm

and another :

. . .Anyway, getting (finally) to the point: exercise boosted metabolism for the next 14 hours . . .

http://sweatscience.com/metabolism-rises-for-14-hours-after-hard-exercise/

I don't run at midnight of course that would make my body become weaker since that time is the time to rest. This is just really a useful information here....

Top Bottom