Heart Beat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I always loose my pulse, and have trouble finding it again. My brother has a HRM type thing, and if you didnt put your fingure n right it gave a false reading.

Chris James

Über Member
I don[t have a heart rate monitor. As long as my heart continues to beat at some sort of rate and I don't keel over then I think I am doing well.

To the OP, you are definitely doing smething wrong. If your heart really never goes above 80 bpm then I suggest you see your doctor.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Yeah thats what I thought. I think I am going to do a bit of testing out to make sure. Because i swear it hardly rises.

Hmmmmm .... ill let you know. Thanks for your help, because for me something just didnt seem right.

CarnageAX

Just bought a HRM and been experimenting with it recently. On a hilly ride of about 15 miles my HR does not drop below 160 and my max is about 190. My theoretical max is 199 bpm but have not been able to reach that yet, too hard.

cyclebum

Why pay for HRMs when fingers are free? 3 fingers (no thumbs) find the bone on the edge of the wrist below the thumb and slowly slide down until you find the pulse if this is easier (with practice you should find it straight away) count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4.
Too many things can interfere with an over the counter HRM to make them totally reliable. Try using it then confirm it manually to check it's reliability.
If your resting pulse is 60 then theoretically it should rise more than 20 bpm on exersion.

cyclebum said:
Why pay for HRMs when fingers are free? 3 fingers (no thumbs) find the bone on the edge of the wrist below the thumb and slowly slide down until you find the pulse if this is easier (with practice you should find it straight away) count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4.
Too many things can interfere with an over the counter HRM to make them totally reliable. Try using it then confirm it manually to check it's reliability.
If your resting pulse is 60 then theoretically it should rise more than 20 bpm on exersion.

Because it's a bit difficult to do when you're riding your bike, because when you get off you can see your max, min, average, training zone, calories burnt, because it's a nice technical bit of kit which makes one feel like a pro :blush:

Top Bottom