Heart in mouth, wheels on grass!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
]It is 5 times said:
, 2 were caused by me riding too fast:blush:

so is it possible for a motorist to have a pure and non-preventable accident ? or are they automatically denied that option and vilified no matter what ?

n.b. jac name removed from quote.[/B]

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

Of course motorists can have a pure accident - my well maintained and serviced bike suffered a front wheel collapse. This certainly could happen to a motorvehicle, or they could suffer a blow-out and lose control of the vehicle as a result. There are a number of accidents that can befall everyone.

Another time I was brought down by a diesel slick - I guess that is preventable, by the spill not being there, buit they do happen. A motorist could have crashed at the same point I did, certainly a motorbike.

The final one is so utterly random. A woman stepped out into the road from between parked cars, I emergency stopped, and didn't hit her (so my speed was not a cause of this one) I did stop right in front of her. She fainted and I instinctively reached out to try and catch her, but was clipped in and ended up sprawled in the road.

I suppose the last one is also preventable - if I hadn't reached out for her, I wouldn't have hit the deck, but it definately counts as an accident IMO.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

An interesting thought JP - one that is worth having. Sometimes I feel that we can be too quick to lay the blame for an accident at the feet of the motorist involved.

HOWEVER

Most crashes are NOT accidents, they were directly caused by impatient/aggressive driving, backed up with a lack of driver skill.

BentMikey said:
Crikey!! I reckon if you aren't falling off, you aren't trying hard enough. Mind you I've had a lot more than 5 crashes off my skates in the last year.

Oh I did forgot about the REALLY old woman who walked out behind a parked van about a year ago. I did come off that time.

It's weird though, my balance on my bike is superb, I've hit slick drain covers, ice, deisel spills etc and had the bike slide all over the place but never came off. Put me on a train and ask me to walk and I'm falling all over the place. Don't figure!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hehehehe, EMD, clearly you have excellent bike balance! It does seem to be different in my experience to one-foot balance like in yoga or skating.

Top Bottom