Heart monitor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, so far I don't get any chest/angina pains on the turbo or when exercising, it is only when I am walking and that is only walking quite slowly, it is very strange and has the collective medics scratching their heads as well !!

As for my ticker, I had a very long stent fitted last April, since when I have had 3 joyous blues and twoes journeys which eventually resulted in my case being transferred to Papworth where they decided to do another angiogram because they thought the original stent might have collapsed, but they found absolutely nothing wrong with either the stent or any of the other main arteries in the heart. As a result of this I had a significant change in my medication, which fingers crossed, so far, they appear to be working with the exception of my problems when gently walking or going up stairs.

No doubt I am the same as your wife and have learnt to look upon the GTN spray as an absolute godsend!
That is a strange one that, especially as the medics are scratching their heads. I am pleased that the cycling is OK, at least you will get some fitness back. I guess that they had you on a treadmill and wired up at Papworth so they could see what was going on ?
My wife`s bypass was done there, now a days they would have put in stents. This can`t be done now she has been told as it is too risky so she has to put up with her condition. This was actually said at Ipswich hospital, in a jack blunt fashion.
When you walk and get the pain the GTN spray works I take it ? It is a godsend.
Hope you make good progress and when the weather is better get outside on the bike.

Mattk50

MattK50
Just reading this thread. I have wahoo on my phone but need to include heart rate with some accessory. Do I need a band of some sort, they look quite irritating? Or will a watch do it just fine? As I only need one additional piece of functionality then can someone suggest something cheap and compatible with wahoo? Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Just reading this thread. I have wahoo on my phone but need to include heart rate with some accessory. Do I need a band of some sort, they look quite irritating? Or will a watch do it just fine? As I only need one additional piece of functionality then can someone suggest something cheap and compatible with wahoo? Thanks
Chest straps are far more accurate than a wrist based wearable for cycling

Assume Wahoo offer a compatible strap (not sure why they’d be especially uncomfortable esp as presuming you’re a man), or anymore than a cheap wearable

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-monitor/

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've been comparing chest and wrist HR sensors on the turbo and have found that there is virtually no difference between them. The fitness band was only £30 (Honor 5-96D). However, it does need to be used in conjunction with a smartphone.

Mattk50

MattK50
Chest straps are far more accurate than a wrist based wearable for cycling

Thanks for input. I think I just want it more for fun than anything serious. I just thought a watch would be more comfortable than a strap around my chest that I then sweat buckets into or get a rash lol!

vickster

Legendary Member
I use an Apple Watch on bike, not always that comfortable depending on angle of wrist. Is compatible with Wahoo but rather more £££ than a chest strap
The pros wear them without ill effects so unless you’re doing the TdF...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

The problem with watches on a bike is that the angle of your wrist can affect accuracy as it depends on the reflected light from your wrist.

if you don’t like the idea of a chest strap you could get the Polar OH1 which is designed to mount on the arm rather than wrist. It speaks ant+ and Bluetooth so will talk to pretty much everything including your phone.

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/accessories/oh1-optical-heart-rate-sensor

Mattk50

MattK50
if you don’t like the idea of a chest strap you could get the Polar OH1 which is designed to mount on the arm rather than wrist. It speaks ant+ and Bluetooth so will talk to pretty much everything including your phone.

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/accessories/oh1-optical-heart-rate-sensor

Thanks that looks better. I was after something cheap as just adding a heartbeat to my data for a bit of interest. 70 quid seems toppy for that extra bit but I guess I have to realign my price expectations!

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Edited as I've just read the other comments and realised Vickster beat me to it on the Wiggle deal lol. Same device, Wahoo Tickr, is also £29 at Amazon:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-TICKR-Heart-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B07TDD1XBX

Last edited:
Top Bottom