Heart rate monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Dear CC'ers,

I am after some advice. My father rides only on a turbo trainer now but still regularly. He wants to be able to monitor his heart rate. In the past he used a handlebar mounted one with a chest strap and recently a Garmin Vivosmart one. Neither of which are perfect, the chest strap is a pain to wear, and the Vivosmart one is a watch style one, which he cannot read while his hands are on the handlebars.

Is there a way to combine this and somehow "send" the data from Vivosmart monitor to a handlebar mounted display ? He doesn't have a smart phone, and I don't really want to go down that route, rather a dedicated display that is mounted on the handlebars - simplicity is key.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Andrew

huwsparky

Über Member
Just wear the strap...Why is it a pain to wear? After a couple of uses you don't even know it's there.

Straps can be a pain when you're cold - they rely on a little perspiration for conductivity; you can use a gel to help but after a while that rubs away and you're back to relying on perspiration. And maybe its just my chest but if I have it tight enough to stay still its noticeable and if I don't it falls down.

However, this may help:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-AC0E8CD6-FD71-4845-ADB1-2E97F785EFAC.html

The Vivosmart can indeed broadcast HR...

Failing this, the best 'strap' I had is a vest type thing I got from Decathlon with in built HR monitor straps and clips the right size for most HR monitors to clip on to - still doesn't solve the bad readings until warmed up, but is much more comfortable.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-hrm-t-shirt-id_8328859.html

Clearly the fault is with my chest rather than the strap designs (have tried Polar and Garmin) - Any suggestions on where I can source a new chest ;)

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Straps can be a pain when you're cold - they rely on a little perspiration for conductivity; you can use a gel to help but after a while that rubs away and you're back to relying on perspiration. And maybe its just my chest but if I have it tight enough to stay still its noticeable and if I don't it falls down.

However, this may help:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-AC0E8CD6-FD71-4845-ADB1-2E97F785EFAC.html

The Vivosmart can indeed broadcast HR...

Failing this, the best 'strap' I had is a vest type thing I got from Decathlon with in built HR monitor straps and clips the right size for most HR monitors to clip on to - still doesn't solve the bad readings until warmed up, but is much more comfortable.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-hrm-t-shirt-id_8328859.html

Thanks for that, does this mean that if I buy him a cheap Garmin computer, it will display his heart rate on it, and I can mount it on the handlebars ?

Which is the cheapest Garmin that would work ?

Thanks
Andrew

Thanks for that, does this mean that if I buy him a cheap Garmin computer, it will display his heart rate on it, and I can mount it on the handlebars ?

Which is the cheapest Garmin that would work ?

On paper it certainly looks that way - see www.dcrainmaker.com and his review of the vivosmart as well.

The cheapest Edge that displays HR is the 25 (about £100) - however, you could either go on eBay (Garmin Edge's have had ANT+ HR display for many years so even the very old ones would work) or go non-garmin e.g. https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/Bontrager-Trip-300-Wireless-Computer.html

nickAKA

Über Member
You can pick up an old vivoactive (ist generation) watch on ebay for about £50, buy a garmin handlebar mount for about £8 & it's as good as an edge 25 IMO. They connect to all ANT+ devices really easily and garmin connect is a decent phone app to keep track of your rides etc, plus it automatically uploads to strava / training peaks. I bought a dual ANT/bluetooth HRM strap from decathlon for £30 and it's been faultless, not uncomfortable at all in use... That's my cheap & cheerful suggestion.

edit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-bicycle-mount-kit-generic-/rp-prod44106

sorry it's out of stock, evans have them though...

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Clearly the fault is with my chest rather than the strap designs (have tried Polar and Garmin) - Any suggestions on where I can source a new chest ;)
Charles Atlas, of course ....

4531750940_455c96cc79_o.jpg

mgs315

I completely forgot about my Garmin chest strap the other day, ended up wearing it around site for a few hours by accident! Surely it’s something he can get used to? If anything I’d expect an arm band to be more annoying. Either too loose or like a tourniquet.

Oh, instead of Gel why not just give it a lick or a bit of spit on the hand and a rub. It’s all my own body fluids regardless so sod it.

Having said that I’m noticing a fair disparity between my Fitbit and the reading though the Fitbit tends to fail under heavy exercise so I’m guessing the Garmin is more accurate? Just surprised I’m pushing 160-180 bpm for nearly the whole ride. Having said that I’m late 20s and like to knacker myself. Just my Fitbit is usually 140-160..

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Having said that I’m noticing a fair disparity between my Fitbit and the reading though the Fitbit tends to fail under heavy exercise so I’m guessing the Garmin is more accurate?

I have a current generation vivoactive HR which I bought in May. Overall I’m pleased with the device which I bought mainly for its GPS functions. I also have a £40 Polaris strap device which I hadn’t worn for 18-20 months.

This autumn, when the weather turned colder, my HR readings on the vivo suddenly jumped by +/- 30 in any given riding situation. At rest the readings were as expected. As someone with a two stents following a heart attack this was a concern yet I had no pain or changed in how I felt physically.

I began using my Polaris in parallel, the model the NHS supply to cardiac patients in rehab, and my readings were as expected while the vivo continued to be +30. It also can give strange readings when I’m spinning, very hot and bathed in sweat.

The vivo seems to have settled down again but I’m left with the feeling, like a lot of Garmin products, it can be pretty flakey on occasions before correcting itself.

Top Bottom