Heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka0019

Firstly sorry, I know this will have been asked a million times but counln't find much info when I searched.

The max heart rate I can get is 176. I'm almost 26 and currently ride about 140 miles a week. 12 to and from work each day Monday to Friday with a training session on a Wednesday. I've only done this many miles for the past couple of weeks though. Before that it was about 100. One more thing is that (and I know I will get shot down for this) I smoke. Since cycling though I am determined to quit and have got down to 1 a week for the past couple of weeks. Yes it prob seems pointless but that last one is hard to get rid of. I will quit though as I am determined to race!

Anyway enough rambling! Apparently my max heart rate should be about 195 according to that 220 -age method. Is 176 pretty rubbish? When I did get 176 it killed me!

Any other people smoke on here/have quit through cycling?

Thanks
Andrew

I am Spartacus

Über Member
In the main you can disregard the age related HR calculation method.
It is a rule of thumb.
Your current 176 might be allied to high power output, you never know!
Only testing will ascertain that.

Cycle more so that you have less time to think about smoking.

Sam Kennedy

Well According to 220-age my Max heart rate should be 203, that means that 185bpm should be 90% of my Max Heart Rate, but I can sustain 185 for quite a while, so it is probably closer to 80% of my max heart rate, but then that would mean my real max heart rate is 231bpm????

I'm tired and just confused myself :biggrin:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
i'm 51 and have hit 194 in a 10k race but I did hit 184 on a stress test at the local hosp, (the doc was impressed).
my rhr is 48 so I agree, you can't go by the age thing.
Have you tried it on a big hill?

Bill Gates

I've heard that having a lower than average MHR for your age has no impact on actual performance, and no amount training will have any impact on raising your MHR. So there is no need to be concerned. On the other hand training may well lower your RHR.

As other have said in order to establish your MHR then you will need to do a RAMP test, which is under laboratory control, (maybe in a unversity); or undertake the test under your own control. I don't know the exact format but roughly you should first rest up for a couple of days before the test and then ride your bike (turbo or road) and after a warm up of 15 minutes, at regular intervals (say every 5 minutes) increase your level of effort so that you can barely keep it going then go for an all out sprint.

On the road you could do this on a long drag, but it is safer to do it on a turbo and then you could have someone read your HR monitor for you.

lukesdad

Its probably easier (if thats the right word) to do a rule of thumb test by running up a steep hill. One that takes about 5 mins. Warm up then run up at about med. pace jog back down and then hit it again accelerating untill you feel you cant give anymore check your hr and it should be at your mhr not very scientific I knowbut if you cant get a to gym its agood test.

jimboalee

The procedure is a "Cardiac Stress Test" ECST.

On a stepmill or gym upright bike, an ECG is used to record HR and view any abnormalities in the cardiac muscle. An IR probe on the fingertip is used to measure oxygen levels by way of blood hemoglobin.
A sphygmomanometer is used at intervals during the test to measure blood pressure.

The patient is asked to climb or cycle and intensity level is increased every three minutes.

What we are talking about is a "Maximal Cardiac Stress Test". The test is performed until the patient's HR does not increase, or there are signs on the ECG that Cardiac tissue is failing.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Alternatively, he jumps on a Turbo with power output and holds 500 watts until he chucks.... then see what HR it was
:biggrin:

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
The procedure is a "Cardiac Stress Test" ECST.

On a stepmill or gym upright bike, an ECG is used to record HR and view any abnormalities in the cardiac muscle. An IR probe on the fingertip is used to measure oxygen levels by way of blood hemoglobin.
A sphygmomanometer is used at intervals during the test to measure blood pressure.

The patient is asked to climb or cycle and intensity level is increased every three minutes.

What we are talking about is a "Maximal Cardiac Stress Test". The test is performed until the patient's HR does not increase, or there are signs on the ECG that Cardiac tissue is failing.

An important consideration.

Try a "Submaximal CST".

This is where the data points are sufficient enough for a polynomial curve fit prediction to be calculated.

Much safer.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
An important consideration.

Try a "Submaximal CST".

This is where the data points are sufficient enough for a polynomial curve fit prediction to be calculated.

Much safer.

I've done 3 x ECST in hospital after my two heart attacks, and they are not maximal tests. They stop well before any distress occurs. A RAMP test is a bike maximal test to establish amongst other things, VO2max and MHR .

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:
I've done 3 x ECST in hospital after my two heart attacks, and they are not maximal tests. They stop well before any distress occurs. A RAMP test is a bike maximal test to establish amongst other things, VO2max and MHR .

That explains why my max on the ECST was 184 and 194 in a race.

Top Bottom