Heart zone training- vo2 testing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poynedexter

how it was described to me was in terms of burning fat and glycogen and how the ratios change. also at anerobic threshold you are beginning to create lactate at a rate quicker than you clear. in practice a HR of 158 doesnt feel that hard and id thought it would have been closer to 170.
below the aerobic threshold (151) is my base training/ recovery zones (151-158) is my tempo zone, 158- 176 is my high intensity zone with +176 my vo2 max zone.

the interesting info i came away with includes when doing intervals @170 for 5 mins, only recover down to 151, then hit it again.

ScottyB

Interesting comments here, planning to dust the turbo off now it is cold!

Is it too simplistic to say that when I did a tough hill climb as part of a 40-50 mile ride, my HR hit 197 so that is my Max HR?

I have also been tested years ago, professionally and done my own tests since indoors and outdoors . It is worth noting Max HR and FTP on a turbo will be lower ( a lot lower in my case around 20bpm) than outside smashing it up a hill etc , so I use 2 scales , one for indoor training one for outside.

ScottyB

I have also been tested years ago, professionally and done my own tests since indoors and outdoors . It is worth noting Max HR and FTP on a turbo will be lower ( a lot lower in my case around 20bpm) than outside smashing it up a hill etc , so I use 2 scales , one for indoor training one for outside.
I found the same but was told I wasn't riding hard enough indoors!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Another one who doesn't quite understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic threshold, so I just refer to my threshold efforts as either upper or lower level threshold intensity!

screenman

Legendary Member
Interesting comments here, planning to dust the turbo off now it is cold!

Is it too simplistic to say that when I did a tough hill climb as part of a 40-50 mile ride, my HR hit 197 so that is my Max HR?

Yes. it might be close but depending where it happened you may have been too fatigued to reach higher.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My 204 MaxHR is exactly the same on the road, MTB and turbo - much like everyone elses.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Anybody into heart zone training? If so which method did you use to calculate you max heart rate and then your zones.

Has anyone had there v02 max measured and applied this to the various methods of obtaining max heart rate to see which is more accurate?
Ride off RPE.

Citius

The 'talk test' is a pretty useless way of establishing any level of exercise above moderate intensity, let alone VO2m. Test subjects would have stopped talking long before they get anywhere near it.

Top Bottom