Heat Shrink Film Disc Wheels for Max Performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, it's easily removable. Also, the film can be slit to access a spoke, then a strip of film can easily be ironed on. The film has a heat activated glue on the back for attachment. Repairs aren't noticeable as the film is quite thin, but strong. I can let you know where to locate the items you need if you wish to cover a wheel.

View attachment 347335
I used the iron to activate the glue to attach the reinforcement circle for each side of the hub.

Seems like quite an easy process, I time trial but I'm not not so good or keen enough to go and buy a zip disk! So I'm quite interested in this, what is the reinforcement circle made of is just another piece of the same material??

Cheers

CS

rmpeez

how did you glue it to the wheel??

wakkywizard

Bent1: some of the links on how you did this are no longer available. I am interested in your process and where you got the film. Thanks.

Tilley

Über Member
I ride a recumbent trike and would love to do this on the front wheels. They are 20" wheels with drum brakes. Could you supply a kit and what sort of cost.

Aussie-J-Rod

Hello all, I'm a new member and thought I'd post the latest project I've just completed.

My film disc conversion on a Velocity 650c Fusion profile rim is finished. It's by far the lightest full disc wheel available, adding only 30 to 40 grams. The light carbon fiber disc cover kits are 400 g and up, non carbon covers are heavier. Most are noisy and aren't nearly as aero as a full disc.

View attachment 346912
Full carbon disc wheels are great, but the lightest high end discs are very expensive, as the Lightweight at $6K and Zipp at $2.4K. The low cost import discs are cheaper but much heavier. Even bolt on carbon wheel covers aren't cheap or light.

View attachment 346913
As wheel weight increases, performance declines dramatically. This is a serious negative when climbing.

View attachment 346914
The ideal disc wheel would incorporate the lightest narrow profile rim, 25 mm deep. Also, light spokes and hub. More expensive bladed spokes are a bit lighter but aren't needed with a film disc wheel.

The variety of film colors is amazing, neon, carbon fiber, chrome, transparent, night glow, etc. Beside the performance boost, for safety they are quite visible. It's good to be seen going down the road. Bling is cool also.

View attachment 346915
The film is glued to the rim's profile then heat shrunk to tighten. I place a reinforcement circle at the hub.

View attachment 346916
This 700c road bike wheel has been on the road for nearly 2 years with no problems. This heat shrink film is used for model plane covering. It's very strong and shrinks extremely tight and lasts for years.

I have a number of wheels to cover for local riders, 700, 650, and 20", for bents and roadies. I'll be making material kits and full instructional info for a DIY wheel modification.

Bill
Recumbent One
What do you do for access to tire valve?

Top Bottom