Heat Shrink Film Disc Wheels for Max Performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bent 1

Hello all, I'm a new member and thought I'd post the latest project I've just completed.

My film disc conversion on a Velocity 650c Fusion profile rim is finished. It's by far the lightest full disc wheel available, adding only 30 to 40 grams. The light carbon fiber disc cover kits are 400 g and up, non carbon covers are heavier. Most are noisy and aren't nearly as aero as a full disc.

q6spjSt2w5ANQfwmSTBHj18EFmbR8CjXgvKyBTkHbzxYTx48Ur0xXp0dgBKeAss3Eu8x2TVwT_b8D6oYUp=w1087-h611-no.jpg

Full carbon disc wheels are great, but the lightest high end discs are very expensive, as the Lightweight at $6K and Zipp at $2.4K. The low cost import discs are cheaper but much heavier. Even bolt on carbon wheel covers aren't cheap or light.

p4uw-lyruDOmu6yCBAul-5KfM05uPzHRZU6IefDeJMkrp8X0y2fQ3GctORhe4TKqW2sa4wK2iE7AsDyw4d=w1087-h611-no.jpg

As wheel weight increases, performance declines dramatically. This is a serious negative when climbing.

cRg874zS4D9fXAYDKuD11pxo9_O1XhNjWTdn6kaEUb3lZ1YNGLvGCjpKBRTtqEjrj7ehVRXRWifi8BLyhm=w1084-h610-no.png

The ideal disc wheel would incorporate the lightest narrow profile rim, 25 mm deep. Also, light spokes and hub. More expensive bladed spokes are a bit lighter but aren't needed with a film disc wheel.

The variety of film colors is amazing, neon, carbon fiber, chrome, transparent, night glow, etc. Beside the performance boost, for safety they are quite visible. It's good to be seen going down the road. Bling is cool also.

e9wNQpAQC9cfQyKgKuJI16Rmgqdzc-mazQE-2c6pWiN9D9PlNQk9ezTiMcfMjElFSgq8wMBQFFbWf5bYF8D=w448-h252-no.jpg

The film is glued to the rim's profile then heat shrunk to tighten. I place a reinforcement circle at the hub.

xZ2gqPppJptw27l12VxfWot4PINIpMp-0d328DgUDh0dJK7NyV2_3P3dENXr8kspjopToPmtiYrq-lFr8hw=w458-h611-no.png

This 700c road bike wheel has been on the road for nearly 2 years with no problems. This heat shrink film is used for model plane covering. It's very strong and shrinks extremely tight and lasts for years.

I have a number of wheels to cover for local riders, 700, 650, and 20", for bents and roadies. I'll be making material kits and full instructional info for a DIY wheel modification.

Bill
Recumbent One

OP
OP
bent 1

bent 1

Hello all, I'm a new member and thought I'd post the latest project I've just completed.

My film disc conversion on a Velocity 650c Fusion profile rim is finished. It's by far the lightest full disc wheel available, adding only 30 to 40 grams. The light carbon fiber disc cover kits are 400 g and up, non carbon covers are heavier. Most are noisy and aren't nearly as aero as a full disc.

View attachment 346912
Full carbon disc wheels are great, but the lightest high end discs are very expensive, as the Lightweight at $6K and Zipp at $2.4K. The low cost import discs are cheaper but much heavier. Even bolt on carbon wheel covers aren't cheap or light.

View attachment 346913
As wheel weight increases, performance declines dramatically. This is a serious negative when climbing.

View attachment 346914
The ideal disc wheel would incorporate the lightest narrow profile rim, 25 mm deep. Also, light spokes and hub. More expensive bladed spokes are a bit lighter but aren't needed with a film disc wheel.

The variety of film colors is amazing, neon, carbon fiber, chrome, transparent, night glow, etc. Beside the performance boost, for safety they are quite visible. It's good to be seen going down the road. Bling is cool also.

View attachment 346915
The film is glued to the rim's profile then heat shrunk to tighten. I place a reinforcement circle at the hub.

View attachment 346916
This 700c road bike wheel has been on the road for nearly 2 years with no problems. This heat shrink film is used for model plane covering. It's very strong and shrinks extremely tight and lasts for years.

I have a number of wheels to cover for local riders, 700, 650, and 20", for bents and roadies. I'll be making material kits and full instructional info for a DIY wheel modification.

Bill
Recumbent One

OP
OP
bent 1

bent 1

Does it not flex at speed ? I imagine it would sound like a wobble board at 40MPH ?

No Cuchilo, it's tight as a drum and performs better than a full carbon disc wheel or disc covers, as the film wheels are much lighter. A pair of carbon disc covers weighs about 400 grams, the film upgrade is approx 40 g. Unlike bolt on disc covers, there's no sound generated at speed.

The variety of colors is amazing.
oracover_fluor.jpg
17f686332c2d993950bc9e1b809835a5.jpg
a9aef562fcd963b28e399f2b9057b83f.jpg

Neon Chrome Silver Chrome Red
han_u910.jpg

Carbon Fiber

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No Cuchilo, it's tight as a drum and performs better than a full carbon disc wheel or disc covers, as the film wheels are much lighter. A pair of carbon disc covers weighs about 400 grams, the film upgrade is approx 40 g. Unlike bolt on disc covers, there's no sound generated at speed.

The variety of colors is amazing.
View attachment 347321 View attachment 347322 View attachment 347323
Neon Chrome Silver Chrome Red
View attachment 347324
Carbon Fiber
Hmmmm is it easy to remove ? I'd like to try it out but dont want to ruin a £500 carbon wheel !

OP
OP
bent 1

bent 1

I presume it's Profilm?

Cosmicbike, in the US it's Ultracote. The manufacturer is in Germany and is Oracover for General Aviation and Model Aircraft. It's tough material and easy to use.

F4Build-429.JPG

UltraCote on a high speed model F-18 jet.

https://www.oracover.de/downloads/Product_Information/Product-Information_2010_engl.pdf

OP
OP
bent 1

bent 1

Clever technique.

Thanks Drago, considering a high performance full carbon fiber wheel cost from $2K to $4K, this is a great upgrade at a doable cost.

The Lightweight Autobahn carbon rear wheel on this CA 2 I built cost about $4. That's not in my budget for a high performance disc wheel on my carbon midracer.
LUj_LZKymVYajOvFhm_1OyD39mmtRDorbg754vOl3jtGK9GTgHk2XEQy5M69feJhjaoUZ78qoGza6O32FIu=w814-h611-no.jpg

OP
OP
bent 1

bent 1

Hmmmm is it easy to remove ? I'd like to try it out but dont want to ruin a £500 carbon wheel !

Yes, it's easily removable. Also, the film can be slit to access a spoke, then a strip of film can easily be ironed on. The film has a heat activated glue on the back for attachment. Repairs aren't noticeable as the film is quite thin, but strong. I can let you know where to locate the items you need if you wish to cover a wheel.

As far as your carbon wheel, if you can find an inexpensive very light aluminum wheel, it can be used.

Go to this link for more info on my process. Let me know if I may be of help.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102895809007969016212/posts/3FANuPjAZ6i

maxresdefault.jpg

The iron can also be used to heat shrink the film.

shrinking-in-progress.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

Also, a heat gun can be used. I use both.

taieAw4YAzWzBI4JDUkGm9TwFDG-OXZStBsy6uz8mS8yzN0WEh3xxOzJfCAPzf12zWPmvYJ8_f7hwHTaH6=w1087-h611-no.jpg

I used the iron to activate the glue to attach the reinforcement circle for each side of the hub.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Cosmicbike, in the US it's Ultracote. The manufacturer is in Germany and is Oracover for General Aviation and Model Aircraft. It's tough material and easy to use.

View attachment 347326
UltraCote on a high speed model F-18 jet.

https://www.oracover.de/downloads/Product_Information/Product-Information_2010_engl.pdf

Ah. Glad it's not Solarfilm as that tears very easily. Spent 25years build RC aircraft so used a few miles of iron on coverings.
Btw, it's an F4 Phantom:okay:

Top Bottom