heavy bike workout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

riding a heavy bike to burn more calories is a false economy, since if you ride a lighter bike you will just ride it faster, and thus have more fun, in turn therefore being more likely to want to go out again or take a more scenic route.

It's also worth mentioning that there should be no need to use panniers just to carry your cycling stuff, e.g. things you might need duiring the ride like tools, spare tubes, clothes, etc. Shopping, gym kit, stuff you need for work, etc., fair enough, but you shouldn't fall into the rut of thinking you 'need' to use the pannier for every ride just because it's easy to throw all your stuff in it and/or 'cos you can't be bothered to take it off your bike. If you fall into this rut, you'll slide further deeper into it - taking things you are very unlikely to need 'just in case', and worse, not bothering taking stuff out that is no longer even relevant.
Bungeeing things to the pannier rack is however perfectly acceptable and is the recommended way of carrying lunchboxes and/or clothing/waterproofs not currently in use.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
Bungeeing things to the pannier rack is however perfectly acceptable and is the recommended way of carrying lunchboxes and/or clothing/waterproofs not currently in use.

What about going to the shop though? Isn't unbungeeing and rebungeeing stuff so it doesn't get nicked going to be time consuming and potentially dangerous?

longers

Legendary Member
bonj said:
riding a heavy bike to burn more calories is a false economy, since if you ride a lighter bike you will just ride it faster, and thus have more fun, in turn therefore being more likely to want to go out again or take a more scenic route.

It's also worth mentioning that there should be no need to use panniers just to carry your cycling stuff, e.g. things you might need duiring the ride like tools, spare tubes, clothes, etc. Shopping, gym kit, stuff you need for work, etc., fair enough, but you shouldn't fall into the rut of thinking you 'need' to use the pannier for every ride just because it's easy to throw all your stuff in it and/or 'cos you can't be bothered to take it off your bike. If you fall into this rut, you'll slide further deeper into it - taking things you are very unlikely to need 'just in case', and worse, not bothering taking stuff out that is no longer even relevant.

I disagree with what you have said here. Using a heavy bike is a form of resistance training. Why did Fatima not just run further? I reckon she had better advice than you.

Carrying a pannier means you CAN take more than you need. So what? You might need it (you'll never know when) and somebody else might need it if they aren't as overprepared.

I have no back up system and would rather have more than I need than less.

When I go out flying I take the bare minimum but that's a summer thing and not a way of living.

Tynan

Veteran
suspect Fatima was working on some raw power rather than endurance

and yeah to filling panniers, I have to squint at what I carry every day, at least the days that it's not already creaking with books, folders, clothes, lunch, it's bloody heavy and worse you can get used to it

cupoftea said:
I ride an old MTB and racing roadies is a great way of burning calories

I might get a road bike this year as my wife wants me home earlier.

My first ever commuting bike was an MTB that weighed twice as much as the bike I subsequently replaced it with. But I then got serious about carrying tools, spare tube, a waterproof coat etc and in no time at all, the new weight carried had negated that saved by changing bikes.

I've discounted commuting on a road bike as I'm not sure it would cope and give a comfortable ride given the road surfaces round here.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
What about going to the shop though? Isn't unbungeeing and rebungeeing stuff so it doesn't get nicked going to be time consuming and potentially dangerous?
I did say you're allowed to use the pannier when going to the shops. As I often do.

longers said:
I disagree with what you have said here. Using a heavy bike is a form of resistance training. Why did Fatima not just run further? I reckon she had better advice than you.
who's fatima when she's at home?

longers said:
Carrying a pannier means you CAN take more than you need. So what? You might need it (you'll never know when) and somebody else might need it if they aren't as overprepared.
Part of the point I'm making is there's nothing you need to take with you that's ONLY FOR THE RIDE that necessitates a pannier. Stuff to use at the destination etc., fine, or if you're on a mtb (sorry, should have mentioned this caveat), ok. But on a ROAD bike, you can fit two tubes, multi tool, tyre levers, sram powerlinks and mobile phone in saddle bag. Pump can attach to frame with the bracket that comes with it. As can a D-lock if you need to carry it with you. What else do you need that means you NEED a pannier?

"I have no back up system"

I'm not sure what that meams. What are you imagining is meant by a 'backup system' ?

longers

Legendary Member
I misinterpreted your post and read it to mean that you were against panniers. Re-reading it and with your further explanation it is clear that you are not. Sorry. My fault for being up too late.

This thread was about using a heavy bike as a form of training and my points were that my bike is light but I carry extra weight atttached to the bike in the form of the pannier with gear in it. I feel this will benefit me. You advocate travelling lighter and going further which is not always possible on a commute especially at this time of year. Pedalling a heavier bike for whatever reason can I feel be beneficial for training purposes.

Fatima is the Whitbread of Javelin fame, mentioned by tynan as pulling tyres and weights as part of her training. Not a good example for me to pick up on as there are better examples.

Not having a backup system just means that I have got used to having no-one to call on should I get stuck anywhere for whatever reason. My commute can take me onto unlit roads not served by buses and I would rather be more prepared for the unplanned than not. It comes from hillwalking and a fair bit of mtbing on my own in this country and the weather it can throw at you.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
This thread was about using a heavy bike as a form of training and my points were that my bike is light but I carry extra weight atttached to the bike in the form of the pannier with gear in it

I find that on a fast bike with skinny tyres, adding a little extra weight doesn't make that much difference, except on hills.

I think for resistance training commuting, other factors such as thicker, heavier tyres, wider MTB type gearing, and possibly bobbeldy cheap suspension forks are equally important as weight.

Twenty Inch said:
Athletes regularly add weight to bikes or themselves for training purposes. It's called hyper gravity training and is a recognised technique. Goalkeepers will jump with weights on their ankles, rugby wings will sprint while pulling a car tyre tied around their waist, cyclists carry extra weight (in my case, around my belly - about 10kg!)

In the olden days of the Victorian prize fighting ring, trainee boxers used to train with heavy candlesticks attached to their shins. The idea was that they'd get used to allowing for the extra weight, then once they were removed their footwork would be twice as fast as before. See "Black Ajax" by George MacDonald Fraser (now sadly deceased).

longers

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
I think for resistance training commuting, other factors such as thicker, heavier tyres, wider MTB type gearing, and possibly bobbeldy cheap suspension forks are equally important as weight.

I think you're right that would probably make more difference. You could let some air out of your tires for increased rolling resistance too.

Don't forget also that you will get increased wind resistance from panniers due to the larger surface area.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Back on the road bike for the first time today in a few weeks, I noticed that instead of feeling knackered and having aching legs, I was sweating and hyperventilating more instead.

Which burns more calories though? A longer period of heavy grinding, or a shorter period of cardio-vascular?

longers

Legendary Member
I am certainly no expert but I think you would be burning more calories on a longer "harder" ride as more energy is being expended.

Weightlifters do shorter reps of heavier weights to build up muscle strength or bulk (not sure which) while endurance athletes do more reps of lighter work for building up stamina and endurance. That's what swimming coaches told me.

Top Bottom