Heavy bikes v lighter bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

i have just bought an expensive fork for my mountain bike and it had reduced the overall weight by about 800 grams.

I have looked at a number of articles regarding the argument that lighter bikes do not necessarily equate to a quicker journey time. But i take the view that if my bike was three times as heavy, there is a fair chance that i would be a bit slower on accelerating from the traffic lights and going up hill. Hence i support the view that lighter bikes will be quicker [reducing weight is what people aim to achieve when upgrading].

am i wrong in thinking that lighter bikes will be quicker and cut down on journey time [at least in theory?]

What do you all think???
Thanks

w

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could have bought a cheap fork and reduced the weight by several kilos! Exotic carbon forks, you wouldn't miss suspension if you were only commuting

A reduction of 800 gms probably won't make much overall difference to your journey time, no. It might make hills easier.

Heavier bikes may go down hill faster, especially with a heavier rider on board.^_^

I have a number of bikes ranging from light-ish to humongously, almost-unable-to-lift. In a straight line on the flat I can't really perceive any difference between them, but I find the weight is most noticeable when carrying the bike or manually having to manoeuvre it, say up a flight of stairs.
I don't get too hung up on the weight of a bike because I am only too aware that a mega buck, gossamer weight speed machine would be no faster with me riding it than an ordinary bike.:laugh:

sidevalve

Über Member
Often though by no means always lighter can mean better engineered and a bike will feel [and be] more responsive and 'easier' to ride. Uphill it's simply a matter of pushing a bigger mass.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
A lighter bike means an easier time of it, I do not think you fatigue as much. I can certainly tell the difference in how I feel at the end of a ride after riding my light bike. I would not say I am noticeably faster though.
Having said that my heavy bike is areo so perhaps the areo properties balance out the performance, then again perhaps im just rubbish and unable to make the most out of the areo bike or the light bike..... :scratch:Arrrhhh to many variables

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think it depends on what your using the bike for. On a short hilly route a light bike should come out better. On a long ride a comfortable bike with larger tyres will reduce the fatigue .

I have a 19 lb Scott Road bike and a 29 lb Jamis Tourer on rides over 100 miles the overall time for a ride seems to be similar.Difficult to be scientific about it as there are so many variables weather ,road surfaces etc also some days you just ride better than others.

tyred

Legendary Member
There should be an advantage to a lighter bike in hilly terrain but in real life riding it is so small as to be insignificant imo. The lighter bike should feel more responsive.

I have two fixed wheeled bikes, my summer one is a 531 framed Carlton and pretty light as steel bikes go, the other is my winter/don't give a shoot if it's nicked bike - a gas pipe 10 speed converted to fixed. It also has chrome wheels, hefty puncture proof tyres and a rack so is noticeably heavier than the Carlton. I run the same gear ratio on both. The Carlton feels faster and more responsive and nicer to ride but over the course of any of my normal routes, I don't really notice any significant difference in time between them. The tiny time difference would mean something if you were in a race but means nothing in any other set of circumstances.

Lighter wheels are a better place to spend money if you do want to improve the performance of bike.

Davidc

Guru
Heavier bikes may go down hill faster, especially with a heavier rider on board.^_^

Weight will make negligible difference downhill, the mechanics is simple for freewheeling but gets a bit messy when you start pedalling and when air resistance is taken into account.

Where it makes a difference is when accelerating or going uphill. Assuming the rider's maximum power output is the same then both will be slower on a heavier bike, and on a lighter bike it'll take a steeper hill to force that get-off-and-push moment.

When you're strong and fit, taking part in a TT or a race, then you notice the bike's weight, and every bit of air resistance, and anything else that opposes your motion. A light bike designed and equipped for speed makes sense.

Sadly I've found that getting older, less fit, fatter, unhealthier, etc. etc. means that the weight of the bike makes b. all difference, I'm just slow.

e-rider

crappy member
a lighter bike will be faster on the flat and uphill if all else is equal. However, between 2 bikes all else is usually not equal at all. Aerodynamics, stiffness, geometry, bearings, rotational weight differences......and so on (the list is long).
Physics says that lighter is faster though, unless going down hill! We can't argue with Physics really.

If I put a cheap 100g heavier tyre on my road bike, I can tell the difference easily, especially on the rollers.

lejogger

Guru
When I ride to work on my Boardman Team CX I am usually 3-4 minutes slower over 9/10 miles than I am when I ride on the Boardman Team Carbon.
The Carbon is a good deal lighter, but also more nimble, better handling, better wheels etc.

Top end speed is roughly the same, but accelerating and climbing is significantly improved on a lighter, stiffer frame. It's also easier to maintain a higher speed once you're up there on the lighter bike.

The difference is exaggerated by the use of panniers/rack bag etc on the CX, whereas if I cycle on the Carbon my suit and shoes etc are in a rucksack. Carrying weight on the person is much more efficient than carrying it as additional weight on the bike, but less comfortable.

As to whether 3-4 minutes over that sort of distance is a significant difference, then that's up to the individual.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
It is also up to the individual as to whether they want,or can afford,lighter components.Porsche once went as far as drilling holes in the ignition key to save weight.

Top Bottom