Heavy handed approach to pavement cycling counterproductive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Going to work in the dark, I've noticed 2 guys, always there same area every day. Cycling on the pavement (extending the cycle lane by a mile?), lights and reflective workwear. Riding very cheap 'full bouncers'.

But then again for the last month I've been in the cage and these guys have been on their bikes, wind, rain and sleet.

surfgurl

I posted on the first page about not feeling confident to cycle round a large roundabout and on a fast stretch of A road.
Today I cycled it for the first time. It wasn't too bad.
I kept in primary in the lane queueing at the roundabout. I was first in line. I waited until I had a good amount of time to pull out and kept in primary until I had exited the roundabout and cycled passed the undergrowth at the side of the road that had me hidden from traffic on the roundabout. I pulled over into secondary to allow the faster traffic to safely pass me.
I got a toot from WVM as I was obviously not far enough in the gutter to satisfy him. I kept the speed up and kept looking behind me and moved into primary to indicate a right turn. I had a scary moment when someone pulled across in front of me, but kept my cool and kept going.
On checking my times it knocked a good five minutes off my commute. I was able to cycle faster on the road than I feel comfortable doing on an empty pavement. And I didn't have to wait five minutes for it to be clear to cross the road.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good for you surfgurl - roundabouts require a great deal of care, but are usually ok if you ride safely and signal your intentions clearly. Where drivers have waited for me to reach my exit and then overtake once it's safe, I alway give them a wave or a thumbs up - might encourage them to do so next time.

Top Bottom