Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Ilkley loop - Sun 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

PaulB couldn't make last weekend's ride from Hebden Bridge but said he fancies one this coming weekend which is forecast to be equally as sunny. I want to check out part of the NW quadrant of the West Yorkshire Cycle Route for the forthcoming CycleChat WYCR Challenge (the challenge being - can colly and I survive it! :o) so I've devised a route to do that.

I'll be starting from Hebden Bridge and will ride over to Oxenhope and will ride back from Oxenhope afterwards.

The main loop is Oxenhope, Haworth, Stanbury, Scar Top, Oakworth, Slippery Ford, Laycock, Steeton Moor, Steeton, Silsden, Brunthwaite, Nab End, Nudge Hill, A65 (:sun:), Ilkley, Cow and Calf, Burley Woodhead, Baildon Moor, Bingley, Harden, Cullingworth, Manywells Height, Sawood, Oxenhope.

If anybody wants a cafe stop we can drop down to Haworth from Cullingworth instead of going straight back to Oxenhope (or look out for one somewhere earlier on the route).

The main loop is about 68 km with 1,500 m of climbing (42 miles, 4,000 ft). With the return trip from Hebden Bridge added it would be 90 km and 2,100 m of climbing (56 miles, 7,000 ft).

Nice if you like hills, not so good if you don't! :biggrin: The average speed will probably only be about 15 kph (9.5 mph) including stops.

PaulB - if you don't want to come to Hebden Bridge or Oxenhope, I/we could meet you at Scar Top on your way over from Colne.

If you are coming goodspeed, I/we could meet you at Oxenhope station if you don't want to mess about coming to Hebden Bridge, only to have to ride straight back to Oxenhope again.

If anybody is coming to Hebden Bridge by train, the earliest we could set off would be about 09:30 (Leeds train), 10:00 (Manchester train), 10:40 (Blackpool train). I'd allow about 40 minutes to get to Oxenhope and another 30 minutes to get to Scar Top.

We can finalise the times when we know who is coming and how they are getting here.

So, fellow CycleChatters, is anybody interested in joining me for another scenic little West Yorkshire ride?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes, I'll definitely do that. I'll check out the route and let you know if Scar Top or Slippery Ford is best for me so we'll have to co-ordinate times as we get nearer to Sunday. Thanks for organising this, Colin.

Alun

Guru
I'm hoping to do the Caton 110 Populaire on the same day, otherwise I'd be with you, well maybe some way behind you !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Paul - if you are coming from Colne itself, then the quickest way to Slippery Ford is via Scar Top anyway. If you are coming from Cowling, then straight up Sutton Moor to Slippery Ford would be quicker.

Incidentally, the road from Scar Top to Oakworth has had roadworks on it the last couple of times I've been up there, and a diversion was in place. I went up there with goodspeed and there was pedestrian access round the works, so we just walked the bikes round that bit. We should be okay.

Worse case scenario - we'd have to backtrack to Haworth and go direct to Oakworth. No problem.

Alun - that sounds like a nice event - enjoy it. I'd have liked to tackle the Tan Hill 200 from Pendleton that day, but I'm not quite fit enough yet and would have had the problem of getting to the start. No way could I ride there and back as well as doing the main event! :biggrin:

Hmm - I've just realised that I'm describing a ride somewhat similar to the West Yorkshire Cycle Route and I will be riding that in less than 4 weeks time! I'd better start getting some extra miles in... B)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've been thinking... we could add a little bit on if you like - 17 km and about 200 m of climbing?

Turn left off the A65 after only 200 metres and use the old Spring Into the Dales footbridge at Addingham to get onto the other side of the Wharfe, then ride through Askwith to Otley. We could have a cafe stop there, then climb up Otley Chevin and rejoin the original route above Menston?

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Worse case scenario - we'd have to backtrack to Haworth and go direct to Oakworth. No problem.

They have to keep that path you described open as it's the actual Pennine Way access track so the heavens would fall if they closed that. The only problem is that the last time I used it, I got so much thick, clingy mud stuck to the bottom of my shoes, it felt like I had weights attached to them.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
They have to keep that path you described open as it's the actual Pennine Way access track so the heavens would fall if they closed that. The only problem is that the last time I used it, I got so much thick, clingy mud stuck to the bottom of my shoes, it felt like I had weights attached to them.
I'm a bit confused by that one Paul! I'm talking about the road from Scar Top to Oakworth. I'm sure that we will be able to get by even if we have to walk round any roadworks.

As for the ride... the local forecast for Sunday (3 different sites agree) is for no rain, hardly any cloud cover, 20 degrees C and a cooling breeze. It sounds perfect for a ride round some lovely Yorkshire hills!

So far it is only the two of us, but I might PM some of the 'Usual Suspects' later to see if anybody else fancies coming along.

colly

Re member eR
I may ride out and join up en route. Perhaps around Steeton or Silsden, ride over to Burley and Menston with you and then make my way back home.

I am at Manchester track on Saturday afternoon so two days out on the trot with work still to do at home might be pushing it a bit. :laugh:

I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

colly said:
I may ride out and join up en route. Perhaps around Steeton or Silsden, ride over to Burley and Menston with you and then make my way back home.

I am at Manchester track on Saturday afternoon so two days out on the trot with work still to do at home might be pushing it a bit. :ohmy:

I'll keep you posted.
What's up with you - you've got tonight and tomorrow night to finish that kitchen floor haven't you! :smile:

We might extend the original route and go round to Otley, then come back over the Chevin.

Anyway, it would be nice to meet up somewhere if you can make it.

colly

Re member eR
ColinJ said:
What's up with you - you've got tonight and tomorrow night to finish that kitchen floor haven't you! :ohmy:

Oh well the floor is all sorted.:smile:

It's all the other stuff that's still to do.:smile::sad:

longers

Legendary Member
I'd love to but can't commit until I've gone round in circles ovals on Saturday but I do like the sound of it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
I'd love to but can't commit until I've gone round in circles ovals on Saturday but I do like the sound of it.
Have a whole bunch of you signed up for a taster session at the velodrome in Manchester then?

As for Sunday - you with sore legs would still be faster than me with fresh ones!

If Paul is okay with my modified route crossing the Wharfe over this footbridge...

1464376524_de3bae436e.jpg

... and going to Otley instead of through Ilkley, it would be about 107 km (67 miles) from Hebden Bridge, with 2,300 m of climbing (7,500 ft of hills).

Attachments

• 1464376524_de3bae436e.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 48

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
As for Sunday - you with sore legs would still be faster than me with fresh ones!

If Paul is okay with my modified route crossing the Wharfe over this footbridge...

... and going to Otley instead of through Ilkley, it would be about 107 km (67 miles) from Hebden Bridge, with 2,300 m of climbing (7,500 ft of hills).

The diversion via Otley sounds more appealing than going through congested Ilkley. But I think you've suggested before there's some problem with the approach to that bridge? Are there some steps or a muddy embankment or something?

Attachments

• 1464376524_de3bae436e.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
The diversion via Otley sounds more appealing than going through congested Ilkley. But I think you've suggested before there's some problem with the approach to that bridge? Are there some steps or a muddy embankment or something?
Good - I'd definitely prefer that too. I'll plot the revised route for my GPS

We would be going down the steps from where the photograph was taken. It's a well-constructed flight of steps up to the road. That's okay for me because I wear SPD shoes now but the steps caught me out first time when I was wearing Look shoes with those whacking great plastic cleats on the bottom (on SITD we actually used to come in the other direction and go up the steps to the street above).

I can't remember what kind of shoes/pedals you use but if you use Look, I'd suggest slipping on some cleat covers to get you down the steps and over the bridge.

We'll have a few hundred metres of hard-packed dirt path to follow beside the wall in the field opposite. It should be nice and dry in the current conditions.

If you are riding up from Laneshaw Bridge, I'd suggest waiting at the junction at Scar Top just after you pass the pine furniture company (on your left) and farm (on your right). I (or 'we' if longers and/or anybody else joins me) will be riding up the steep little hill to Scar Top and then turning back to our right onto the lane to Oakworth.

I'll wait until this evening to decide on times, in case anybody decides to come to Hebden Bridge by train to join me.

There's a chance that longers and/or colly might come along if they don't shred their legs at the Manchester velodrome today.

Top Bottom