Hebridean Way - Getting back to Oban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Considering of a solo ride aling the hebridiean way next year. Thinking of driving to Oban, ferry to Barra, 3 days cycling to the top of the islands, but then struggling to see how to get back? Don't think I'll have the time to ride back to barra over 3 days, and cant see any other uption (Other the advice on one of the Scottish Touring Office websites to leave the train at Glagow, train to Oban, then at the end get the ferry from Stornaway to Ullapool, cycle to Inverness (60miles) then train back to Glasgow.
Anyone done this and how did you go about the bits either side of the cycling?
TIA

I've done the Ullapool to Inverness ride. It's not bad but the last bit into Inverness is just a chore. I think there's at least a cycle path on one of the busy dual carriageway bits now, which there wasn't when I did it.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
For your Hebridean trip..
This could be very useful.
Cycling the Hebridean way by the Offcomers,
I wish I had bought it before I left....
I'll let you google.

I did the Hebridean Way last Sept but returned via Tarbet, Harris to Uig on Skye as I had intended to cycle through Skye, wx cancelled that idea.
One bit of advice, BOOK, BOOK everything ahead esp on Barra.
(I'd cheated, I'd taken Mrs M with me)

snorri

Legendary Member
Do you need to take your car?
Take the train from home to Oban via Glasgow, Stornoway to Inverness via Muir of Ord and Beauly, then train from Inverness to home, perhaps?
Or cycle Ullapool to Garve and board the train there for Inverness.
There have been buses in the past willing to take bikes from Ullapool to Inverness, but as for next year, that's anybodies guess.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've never been to the Outer Hebrides, but like many others I've often studied the maps and timetables and wondered what I might do.

There was this thread a few months ago which covered some of the ground. I remember there being quite a bit of discussion of practicalities, so it should be worth looking at.

If you want to drive (and I can well understand why you might) then perhaps you could drive to Mallaig instead of Oban, crossing to Lochboisdale on South Uist. That would give you a better chance of making it to the top and back, and wouldn't stop you including Barra at the end if you have time.

In theory you could shorten the route back by crossing from Tarbert (Harris) to Uig (Skye) and then back to Lochmaddy on North Uist. But since the bit of Harris you'd miss out has a through road on both coasts that would have a cost.

Ajax Bay

Guru
For consideration (and oblique-posting with @Aravis ):
Drive to Crianlarich/Tyndrum (NB YH in Crianlarich)
Train to Oban
Oban to Barra (or direct to S Uist till 27 March)
Ride to the north end and return, through Stornoway to Tarbert.
Ferry to Skye (Uig)
Ride Skye (to Armadale)
Ferry to Mallaig
Train to Crianlarich/Tyndrum
Castlebay, Barra to Armadale, Skye
Note ferries of 10km (Barra > S Uist), 17km (N Uist > Harris) and 46km (Harris > Skye)

stumpy66

Veteran
Could cycle to Tarbert on Harris, get the ferry to Uig on Skye then cycle down to Armadale. Get the ferry from Armadale, Skye to Mallaig, you can either get the train from there or if you’ve time cycle to Fort Wm and get the train from there

snorri

Legendary Member
Those making just a single trip south to north, or north to south, will always have a difficult decision to make in south Harris. They must decide to take the east or west coast route. Both are picturesque but dramatically contrasting, it seems a waste to travel far to visit Harris without seeing east and west coasts.:smile:.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've been twice. The first time I took train to Glasgow, rode to Oban (overnight at Inveraray), then three days up to Stornoway, and rode from Ullapool to Inverness and got the train home. The two singles to Glasgow and from Inverness were a bit pricy and the three days on the islands felt rushed with little time to explore.
The second time I got a great deal on a return to Inverness, so rode to Ullapool, and spent 5 days cycling round Lewis and Harris (far prettier islands IMO). As @snorri says, east and west Harris are so different, both need riding. I felt I had much more time to explore. Even then, I didn't go to the Uig area on Lewis, which looks fab on a map. Coming back from Ullapool, I used the bus part of the way, the drivers are very relaxed about taking bikes if they have the space, although I'm not sure if there's a charge or it's a bribe for the driver.
I've used the Gatliff Trust hostels and BandB'd. I'd book BandB's, the hostels you can't book. Be prepared for no shops to be open on a Sunday.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've done the Ullapool to Inverness ride. It's not bad but the last bit into Inverness is just a chore. I think there's at least a cycle path on one of the busy dual carriageway bits now, which there wasn't when I did it.
Presumably you're talking about coming in via the A9? I'd go via the Muir of Ord and Beauly which is far nicer and enjoyable ride.

iluvmybike

Über Member
From Ullapool you can cycle over to Garve & get a train back To Inverness from there - its a lovely long fast ride down from Loch Glascarnoch (as long as wind is not in your face!). I believe there is also a bike bus between May & September

robing

Über Member
I've done it twice leaving my car at Oban. First time I got the ferry back from Tarbert to Uig, cycled the length of Skye in a headwind (no fun and busy roads), then from Mallaig I got the train and changed at Tyndrum for the Oban train.
Second time I got the ferry from Lochboisdale to Mallaig. Then cycled the 60 miles down through to Ardnamurchan and got the ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory on Mull and stayed the night there. Then cycled down to Craignure and got the ferry back to Oban. This was a lot more enjoyable.

Top Bottom