Hedge cutting extreme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Discovered the results of a local farmer cutting the hedges along one of the roads I use every day. This time it was not just your normal hedge clippings. Huge branches had been ripped off and left all over the road. Overall about half a mile of road completely covered in wood. I was lucky because I was going up-hill and I only do hills slowly. Anyone going in the other direction will be much faster and cyclists would not stand a chance if they hit any of the large bits.
Reported to the council.

It's a very popular route at weekends so be careful! Location: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...886&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

phone 010.jpg 013.JPG

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Trump, looks like that was cut by Freddy Kruger on acid.

simongt

Guru
Probably not THE farmer, just some underpaid chump with a large circular saw attachment to his tractor. No shield or guards fitted; just chucks whatever it chops anywhere it happens to land. Seen it in action. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
Probably not THE farmer, just some underpaid chump with a large circular saw attachment to his tractor. No shield or guards fitted; just chucks whatever it chops anywhere it happens to land. Seen it in action. :thumbsdown:
I spoke to him. He was probably the son. Said he couldn't afford to hire contractors to do this sort of thing. He didn't seem to think there was a problem which is why I went straight to the council.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They don't need to hire contractors. Some of the best hedge cuts I've seen have been farmers doing it themselves, cutters on the front, sweeper at the back. And then there's ones like this. :rolleyes:

betty swollocks

large member
Discovered the results of a local farmer cutting the hedges along one of the roads I use every day. This time it was not just your normal hedge clippings. Huge branches had been ripped off and left all over the road. Overall about half a mile of road completely covered in wood. I was lucky because I was going up-hill and I only do hills slowly. Anyone going in the other direction will be much faster and cyclists would not stand a chance if they hit any of the large bits.
Reported to the council.

It's a very popular route at weekends so be careful! Location: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6670343,0.4634306,3a,75y,86.03h,63.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7RF_enZ8w0e32vrQ0bGURw!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=7RF_enZ8w0e32vrQ0bGURw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=22.310886&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

View attachment 335154 View attachment 335157

Looks like some unfortunate lost their hand too. Shame.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They have a duty to clean up after each day. My brother in law came off his motorbike because the farmer made no attempt to clean the mud off the road at the end of the day. His insurance ended up paying for a new motorbike.

What did the council say?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
That's bad, even by the usual low standard of hedge hacking.
I'd also be interested to hear what the council have to say - I've reported hedge debris left all over the road (and mud, another farmers favourite) and not really had any resolution. My local council won't accept reports via FixMyStreet for some reason and reports via their website (the only method available out of office hours) can take weeks to get a response.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
I had to report on-line as it was out of office hours. There is (perhaps) a bit of progress. The status has changed to "further investigation required" so I will wait to see if there's any further progress.
I'm going to have a ride out there today to see it in daylight.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
OK. Just been to have a look in daylight.
My words with the tractor driver last night must have done something because the large branches that were on the road are now in nice piles on the verge and the road is just about clear. The hedge itself now looks a mess.

003.jpg 009.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

simongt

Guru
Indeed Raleighnut. Seen it in action many years ago; a joy to watch the transformation of an unruly hedgerow into a masterful weave of virtually unpenetrable thicket. One farmer would judge his work well done if his terrier couldn't get through the finished hedge - ! :rofl:

One problematic side effect of modern trimming however is that very often the trimmings get left in any ditches and gullys thus blocking the intended flow of offrun water from the roads & fields. :thumbsdown:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Pretty sure some of the hedges between Countesthorpe and Peatling Magna were done like that last year. It has definitely been done along the GCW in the last couple of years.
Possibly by volunteers who wish to be taught how to do it, a bit like the 'dry stone walling' courses. My team at Watermead Park were responsible for planting over a mile of Hawthorn hedging that was 'layed' later once it was established and don't forget that the Great Cental Way was created by a similar team of Community Programme workers (Maggies Minions) in the mid 80s, in fact that was the team I wanted to be involved with (as a committed cyclist back then but it was almost finished) then the Watermead position came up. My best mate from school (John Cornes) was on the GCW team and told me about it which led to me making enquiries.

Top Bottom