Hedge trimmers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Someone was asking about DIY hair trimmers so I thought why not ask about hedge trimmers, after all there must be some gardeners on this forum. Basically I have a very tall (4M) leylandii hedge and I've decided I need a petrol long reach trimmer. The problem is that its difficult to compare the total reach of each trimmer from the specifications as they are all described differently. Some specifications describe the overall length of the trimmer while others describe the length of the shaft etc. I'm also keen to get a reasonable quality trimmer as I don't want it breaking down in a couple of years.
4758745018_c44120bfb2.jpg

I have had 8 years of reliable out of a Fuji-Robin. Recommended.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Thanks HF, I'll check that out. In case anyone's thinking, no way is that hedge 4M, that's what it looked like a few years ago. Here's what it looks like today:
4823684526_16681278fd.jpg

i have a Ryobi 26cc two stroke petrol strimmer from the Extend-it range which I use with an additional 1 metre etension tube and 500mm long double sided Hedge trimmer head for our mixed Leylandii, Laural and Privet hedge.

This strimmer and hedge trimmer kit is currently on offfer at B&Q for £99.99, and I cannot fault mine

Canardly

Veteran
Conifers have a smallish root system but not sure I would want them that close to my house specially when it has been so dry this summer.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Conifers have a smallish root system but not sure I would want them that close to my house specially when it has been so dry this summer.
Leylandii roots as I understand (hope) are very shallow and fibrous, and do not penetrate building foundations. However they can damage drains and cause underground clay shrinkage by sucking out the moisture. As such these bushes are definitely overdue a good cut-back to keep the roots in check.

justAl

All trees can be made equal by hatchet, axe and saw.
Sorry, but I have to insist you cut it back half atleast. Horrible stuff

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Shaun,
To check, is the hedge on your side of the fence?.... if it isn't you can't cut the top off without neighbour's permission...

All trees can be made equal by hatchet, axe and saw.
Sorry, but I have to insist you cut it back half atleast. Horrible stuff

Lois & I have decided that our Leylandii trees are coming out; the whole lot of them, so I've been out and bought myself a chainsaw (I am already chainsaw trained and have been seen 1985, and have all the necessary safety gear): I have just never needed a chainsaw of my own at home before, but at £79.99( free P&P) a brand new Ryobi 40 cc chainsaw with a 16 inch bar that normally retails at £200 it just had to be done. With weekend hire charges at £79.80 + VAT for a similar chainsaw around here, I'm already quids in, especially as I'll be felling and logging out 45 or so Leylandiis over 3 or 4 weekends.

I've been offered £1.50 for each KG of charcoal the Leylandii timber produces ...... it's not suitable for cooking with, but highly suitable for traditional Iron workers to use, and I already have a rather under utilised home-made retort type charcoal making kiln, and I can keep any of the tar and pitch by products which I'll need for another boat building project I want to start next springtime.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need a saw/chainsaw to lop some height off before 'trimming'.

My dad has a Stihl engine with the added long chainsaw, trimmer etc....cost quite a few bob but I get him round when needed.......

My trusty heavy duty black and decker trimmer and a saw sorts most of the 'bushes out' - 2m max though................

Top Bottom