Hedgehogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
hohoho

It may be my age but I am worried about where these mammals have to live nowadays - there is so much development that they are being forced closer and closer to human habitation that the 'flat mate' bit may be more and more likely.

this from someone who lives in Milton Keynes

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Two things people can do straight away that will help are:

Stop using slug pellets.
Make some sort of small 'hedgehog hole' if your garden is surrounded by fences. We have one panel that provides this and it helps the hogs have a large enough territory to survive.

We have several visiting our suburban garden. We feed them a proprietary hedgehog food (no milk!) with a few mealworms. Anything they miss, the birds eat.

Alex H

Legendary Member
It may be my age but I am worried about where these mammals have to live nowadays - there is so much development that they are being forced closer and closer to human habitation that the 'flat mate' bit may be more and more likely.

this from someone who lives in Milton Keynes

My next door neighbour in Kent's Hill frequently had hedgehogs in the back garden

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Used to have two visit our back garden, we'd leave mealworms and enjoy watching them. Not seen any this year but have spotted some poo. They are in decline.

I'll bore you with hog fights ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fyKc_BMDs8

Easy to make a feeder if you want to encourage them in your garden.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've no idea if hedgehogs are creatures of habit, but at about dusk one routinely wanders past my caravan.

It follows the route of the small stream, and seems to like the margin of the bank and where my cut grass ends.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
November-24-2011-02-28-14-hedgehogssharefullpicartwork.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In a previous place we regularly had hedgehogs in our suburban garden.

Am in the city now (Bristol), and don't recall seeing any. A badger used to visit our garden though, but seems to have stopped now - hope he's ok even if we're no longer having plant pots pulled over and bulbs dug up. Similarly a, presumably different, badger visits a mate who lives fairly near, but still properly in town. Foxes we get loads of of course.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I reckon User9609 has it - so many hedgehogs are killed on the roads that it is badly affecting the population.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Having only recently started cycling again after 6 months off,i've seen about 4 dead squashed ones. This is one downside i find about cycling. Seeing roadkill is upsetting to some. The other day i saw what looked like a newly dead cat on the pavement of a busy road. I rode past the same spot yesterday with my one working eye kind of half shut hoping it had been removed. It had,but further along the road i saw what looked like a newly squashed hedgehog. I probably see about 1 live one a year now. The last one i saw was last autumn when it was there in a pile of leaves. I asked some nearby workmen if they had a towel or a cloth so i could pick it up and move it away from the roadside,but by the time they'd found one i went back and it'd gone.

Top Bottom