Hedgehogs

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by steveindenmark, 18 May 2018 at 09:26.

1. Hedgehogs. Are they becoming rare? I have only seen 2 this year. A live one and his flat mate.

numbnuts likes this.
  2. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

hohoho

3. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

There is a jokes thread O_o

4. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

It may be my age but I am worried about where these mammals have to live nowadays - there is so much development that they are being forced closer and closer to human habitation that the 'flat mate' bit may be more and more likely.

this from someone who lives in Milton Keynes

Accy cyclist likes this.
  5. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

We know hedgehogs are not very good at crossing the road so it is interesting to note that hedgehog populations have fallen from 30 million in 1950 to 1 million today, whist vehicle numbers have increased during that same time span from 2 million to 35 million. !

but seriously though, it's intensive agriculture which has created a massive loss of habitat along with modern chemicals that reduce the pests that damage the crops, these pests were in many cases the hedgehogs food.

basically too many people have left no room at the inn for little Mr Hedgehog.

Accy cyclist and uphillstruggler like this.
  6. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

Two things people can do straight away that will help are:

Stop using slug pellets.
    Make some sort of small 'hedgehog hole' if your garden is surrounded by fences. We have one panel that provides this and it helps the hogs have a large enough territory to survive.

We have several visiting our suburban garden. We feed them a proprietary hedgehog food (no milk!) with a few mealworms. Anything they miss, the birds eat.

steveindenmark and FishFright like this.
  7. Alex H

Alex H Veteran

My next door neighbour in Kent's Hill frequently had hedgehogs in the back garden

uphillstruggler likes this.
  8. Garry A

Garry A Smiling cyclist.

Used to have two visit our back garden, we'd leave mealworms and enjoy watching them. Not seen any this year but have spotted some poo. They are in decline.

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Only usually see squished, dead ones these days which is a shame.

10. MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Mr Celine and Hugh Manatee like this.
  11. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

I've no idea if hedgehogs are creatures of habit, but at about dusk one routinely wanders past my caravan.

It follows the route of the small stream, and seems to like the margin of the bank and where my cut grass ends.

steveindenmark likes this.
  12. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

13. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

In a previous place we regularly had hedgehogs in our suburban garden.

Am in the city now (Bristol), and don't recall seeing any. A badger used to visit our garden though, but seems to have stopped now - hope he's ok even if we're no longer having plant pots pulled over and bulbs dug up. Similarly a, presumably different, badger visits a mate who lives fairly near, but still properly in town. Foxes we get loads of of course.

14. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

On a ride last week I saw at least 5 squished hodgehegs. Sad really.

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I reckon Reiver has it - so many hedgehogs are killed on the roads that it is badly affecting the population.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice