heeeelp please - slick MTB tyres!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moose

Personally when commuting, I'd go for kevlar every time.

I only had 3 or 4 punctures on my commute, prior to using tyres with kevlar inserts but that was enough (2 in 2 days). Within 1 week of fitting the Hurricanes they'd prevented that 1" nail from giving me a puncture and since then I've done about 2000miles trouble free.

(Hurricanes are semi-slicks so I wouldn't recommend them in this case)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting or not - just 2 hits in the last 24 months - 7000 miles so far..both caused within 1 week of each other by a nit pot hole - 1 hitting hole, 1 avoiding it ...erm........

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I think you'll like the Continental Sport Contact. I think you'll notice a drastic difference in rolling resistance within the first 100 feet! You'll think you're riding a totally different bike! I've had my share of p******** on them, though, in 5000 miles. It's usually glass. I don't know if that's the fault of the tyre. I've just always considered it part of cycling. I usually get p******** in batches. I can go 8 months without one, then get 3 in 2 weeks.

Schwalbe are also good tyres, and I've been considering trying the Kojak. If you decide on that tyre, let me know what you think.

OP
OP
N

no_maggie

Bontrager / Maxxis??

Hi again guys,

Does anyone have anything to say about Maxxis detonators? or Bontrager road warrior select slick's?... are completely slick tyres slippy in the wet?

thankings x

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slick tyres make no difference in the wet, they actually are grippier. It's all down to the compound of the rubber. Bike tyres don't aquaplane !

mcb2080

When I bought my Ridgeback Nemesis, they came with conti contact sports 26 x 1.5, my bike was very fast with these tyres on.

BUT I got a visit from the p fairy on my second outing:cry:

I rode them for about another two weeks and they where fine but I had lost confidence in them.

I moved to schwalbe marathon plus 26 x 1.75 and they have been great, I have done about 1000 miles so far BUT they are slower than the contis, not by much but they are slower.

I am thinking of going for schwalbe marathon supremes as they claim to be very fast but still offer as good punture protection as the smp's.

HTH's

rnscotch

Veteran
I am currently using Conti City Contacts 26 x1.75, they are fast not had to many problems. I think i have had 3 punctures all big shards of glass and i have also found they are quite grippy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with Fossy, I like race tyres on my bikes because they handle well and are super light and grippy. Schwalbe Stelvios 28-406 on the 'bent, and Conti GP4000 23-622 on the Langster.

If you don't ride in the gutter, and don't ride in cycle paths/lanes, then you won't have too much problem with unplanned defl**tion events.

Top Bottom