Heel Plates or Cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Currently using toe clips & straps, but toying with the idea of either replacing with SPD/cleats or adding heel plates.

Any advantage of one over the other? Anyone use/used heel plates?

Dumb question time ... what are heel plates?

Oh happy user of SPD cleats here. Actually jumped on my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT on the weekend which has flat pedals on (selling it) and I couldn't ride it properly. I am so used to pulling and pushing the pedals which to me is much more efficient riding style.

Andrew

byegad

Legendary Member
Cleats, I use Crank Brothers pedals as their float is good and the cleat doesn't take the pressure like SPDs. I suffered with numb toes every winter when I used SPDs. I don't with CB.

double_dd

Über Member
I've just switched to SPD after having toe clips/straps. It's so much better.

The power is so much easier to put down and when on a climb my feet don't slip about across the pedal (thinking specifically of the wet).

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Having used clips/straps since my teens I've recently fitted SPDs to my Dawes Tourer. A huge improvement in power transmission.

Looking for a reversible set to go on my MTB. Brompton will stay with standard fixed/folding set up as USP is ability to ride in work clothes.

EDIT - Only noticed after posting that this was in 'bent/HPV forum - YMMV.

starhawk

I started out using SPD when i bought my trike, but I never liked them. Walking with shoes with SPD cleats is not easy if they are racing shoes, there are shoes with a recessed mounting position for the cleats but it is still awkward. Checked out on the internet, it turns out that there are basically three positions for mounting the cleats Ball of the toe, mid toe and midfoot. The problem is that most shoes only have mounts for mounting the cleats in the first two positions, most midfooters have to modify their shoes. Which position fits who is up to their cycling style and to a lesser extent preference. I was in the process of modifying my shoes for midfoot position when I ran across the Terra Trike Strapped Heel Support Pedals. The good things with them is that you can use any shoe you like, and the spindle are in the midfoot position, I absolutely love them. If you prefer another position there are heel sling which you can adjust to any position but then you can't pedal all way around which some persons prefer, they imagine it gives them more power but research has proven that they gain very little if any power at all

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Dumb question time ... what are heel plates?

Oh happy user of SPD cleats here. Actually jumped on my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT on the weekend which has flat pedals on (selling it) and I couldn't ride it properly. I am so used to pulling and pushing the pedals which to me is much more efficient riding style.

Andrew
This is what heel plates look like. Although I doubt mine would be as fancy looking. Only the one foot size to accomodate

Heel Plate.jpg

This is what heel plates look like. Although I doubt mine would be as fancy looking. Only the one foot size to accomodate

Thanks. Never seen anything like that before. Nice to learn new things.

Andrew

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Currently using toe clips & straps, but toying with the idea of either replacing with SPD/cleats or adding heel plates.

Any advantage of one over the other? Anyone use/used heel plates?

SPDs give you a great advantage on regular bikes for pulling as well as pushing on the pedals. I've always fitted SPD/flat pedals (A530s) on my 2 wheel bents so I can use the flat side when riding slow/setting off, and then clip in when I get a spurt on. I'd say that it's absolutely essential to be clipped in on a trike......I dread to think what would happen in my foot slipped and went under the cruciform. The catrike is fitted with dual SPDs (M520s) as I'd never use the flats.

As for footwear, I've been using Shimano MT42 shoes for the last 3 years, and after 15,000 miles they're still in good nick, although I did have to replace the laces a couple of weeks ago. (Only one broke, but I though what the hell, I'll replace both of them.....big spender, me!:hyper:) They're really good for walking in (feel just like trainers) and they don't sound like your wearing high heels (not that I wear high heels) I don't know if you can still buy the 42s but the 43s look pretty much the same.

I'd never go back to 'normal' pedals. I just couldn't line with the fact that I'd have to pedal harder to get the same power down.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
One other thing is that I'll be on four wheels & spending as much time going uphillas as on the flat, so speed isn't really an issue.
Used SPD's on the bike, but not to certain over their use on the four wheels. Main reason for asking.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
One other thing is that I'll be on four wheels, so speed isn't really an issue.

It's not just that you can pedal faster without risk of a foot slip. You really do get more power/speed for each revolution, seemingly without any extra effort. I don't even notice that I'm pulling on every stroke until I ride the mountain bike and my feet lift off for the first few yards until I adjust. Not sure what you're riding, but 4 wheels probably means more weight to shift so being able to pull would probably give you more advantage (percentage wise) than a lightweight racer.

ChainReactionCycles have 1/2 price A530 pedals £28.99 at the mo (including the cleats). http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-a530-road-pedals/rp-prod28050

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Riding a Brox Quad, currently fitted with toe clips & straps. I've used cleats & SPD's on the bike but favour toe clips & straps.
Heel plates I've never seen on a upright bike. Nor have I seen a need for them on a conventional bike.
However with the feet out in front there is slippage to contend with. Either of the two methods mentioned would prevent that. Heel plates would allow normal footwear, whilst keeping the feet in place. SPD's/cleats the same but walking could be a minor irritation.

starhawk

Many seem to think that SPD is the only thing that can hold the foot securely to the pedal but there are lots of different methods out there and if you are a midfooter SPD isn't the obvious choice.
The nice thing with the Terra Trike Strapped Heel Support Pedals is the fact that you can use the muscles in the leg full out, with the SPD that wasn't possible for some reason maybe the leg "cuts out" when the calf muscle is overstreched

Top Bottom