Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
How do I measure the saddle height? Is it from the top of the saddle to the middle of the centre of the bottom bracket spindle following the line of the seat tube - is that correct? Apologies if I've got any of the bike parts wrong!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Why do you need to measure it? If trying to set the bike up put one pedal at the 6 o’clock position sit on the bike, put your heel on the pedal, your leg should be straight, put the ball of your foot on the same pedal and you should have a slight bend in the knee, it’s pretty hard to compare saddle height on different bikes as the bb could be higher/lower compared to another bike, it’s really what feels comfortable tbh

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Why do you need to measure it? If trying to set the bike up put one pedal at the 6 o’clock position sit on the bike, put your heel on the pedal, your leg should be straight, put the ball of your foot on the same pedal and you should have a slight bend in the knee, it’s pretty hard to compare saddle height on different bikes as the bb could be higher/lower compared to another bike, it’s really what feels comfortable tbh

Thanks for the reply. I need to measure it because I have one leg shorter than the other and I have to find my "sweet spot".

DRM

Guru
Thanks for the reply. I need to measure it because I have one leg shorter than the other and I have to find my "sweet spot".

I see, try the method I suggested and go for a ride, take the appropriate tool, Allan key or spanner whatever it is that clamps the seat post and try very small adjustments to fine tune it as you go, good luck

How do I measure the saddle height? Is it from the top of the saddle to the middle of the centre of the bottom bracket spindle following the line of the seat tube - is that correct? Apologies if I've got any of the bike parts wrong!

I was told by a fitter you were better to measure it too the pedal spindle rather than the BB, it makes the measurement more consistent with different crank lengths.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

You would be better to use a heel raiser in the shoe for your shorter leg. I rode with a compromise set up for years. When a podiatrist friend, also a cyclist, set me up with the correct heel raiser the result was a revelation.

The "sweet spot" will be a compromise and not a sweet spot.

My right leg is shorter than my left. For years before it was diagnosed if my BB bearings were failing I'd get pain in my right groin/hip and suffered all the time from a clicky hip. It is actually obvious now but when it was diagnosed and shimmed the occasional pain and constant clicking hip stopped.

wonderloaf

Veteran
A few years ago I broke my right femur and so now my right leg is 10 - 12mm shorter than my left leg and since then I used to get pains down the inside of my right leg of which no amount of saddle height or fore/aft fiddling would relieve. A bike fitter on Youtube (Neil Stanbury) recommended using shims to increase the length of the leg so on his recommendation I bought these:
https://www.form-bikefitting.com/leg-length-shims/leg-length-shim-mtb-walkable-v2-kit
These shims have transformed my cycling comfort and although the pain hasn't completely 100% gone I reckon it is 90% or so better than before, and I feel a lot more in balance on the bike.
I use MTB SPD pedals on my bike but I believe you can get similar products for road cleats.

I would suggest from the surface of the pedal to the sit bone zone of the saddle with crank rotated for longest extension.
You will be a few mm out due to saddle flex, which varies from saddle to saddle.
There is no std measure and you should go by feel.

Top Bottom