Heightening an S type...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
As some of you know, when I bought my bike I found the S type too low and the M type a little too high.

So I ended up buying an H type and fitting low risers on it. The result was something in between S and M (oo-er).

However, a friend a work has the S type and is saying he's now getting problems with his neck as it's too low.

For anyone that fitted riser bars to an S type did you HAVE to get longer cables?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Curious, I know what an E Type is, but not the S, M & H types. Could you enlighten me, I learn something new frequently on here.
Cheers

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Heights.jpg

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Caveat to say that the current fleet of Bromptons has different stems to these.

But as we both have the older type, these are the ones I'm referring to.

Brocky49

As some of you know, when I bought my bike I found the S type too low and the M type a little too high.

So I ended up buying an H type and fitting low risers on it. The result was something in between S and M (oo-er).

However, a friend a work has the S type and is saying he's now getting problems with his neck as it's too low.

For anyone that fitted riser bars to an S type did you HAVE to get longer cables?

You could try this:-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handleb...bar-for-bromptons-mid-rise-254mm-clamp-black/

I fitted on to my M Type to lower it, but not as low as an S Type.
I think you would need to change the cables to M Type.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks for the link, but I think it might need to be lower than that.

With an 80mm rise it would be pretty much the same height as an M type bar as I make it that there's 89mm difference between the two.

@fivelittlefish - as a rough estimate how much of a rise were your bars?

I used a set of Ritchey Rizers for mine, which a quick google suggests have a 30mm rise, and they're just about right for me. But because I started with an H type I ended up having to cut my cables.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I have replaced all my cables on my S several times. You can route the cables on the front of the stem and get rid of the gatherer completely. There is a lot of concern about getting cable length exactly right, but I've found as long as the cable will permit the fold it doesn't hurt if it is a bit longer. Here, at least, Jagwire is about a $1 a foot, although I buy the brake version that has both spiral and straight wiring in the cable housing. This stiffer housing can't compress, like derailleur housing, and works better for the rear brake. By better I mean the brake releases to the open posiition more easily. I also use a v-brake noodle on the front brake. So, if I buy 10 feet of cable and 2 cables at $3 each, I will have a lot of extra cable for about the price of an "official" set up for either the front or the rear. However, a cable housing/cable cutter will make a much easier and cleaner job of cutting. Mine is a Park and cost about $35. Since I have a bunch of bikes and am frequently futzing around with different bar and transmission changes I find it very useful.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I agree with the ‘don't worry too much about the length’ comment. I ran mine for months with cables that were way too long before finally cutting them down.

I think it's more if you go from S to a low riser, you could end up having problems turning right if they're too short.

Last edited:

tuttonp

This is a great post, especially the height image. I have an H6L and am contemplating swapping to a straight bar first before changing Stems and cables, just to keep costs down to start. Some really useful advice, thank you

kais01

Regular
we have 30 mm risers on one of our s models. works fine, fold is fine.

however if you at the same time wish to have the bars closer to the saddle, it makes the bars stand out from the folded package.

in general i think the m stem is more flexible. you may use risers of different heights as long as they are preferably not backswept.

have on my own four brommies m stems old version with 60-70 mm risers angled forward 30-40 degrees. gives similar position as the s stem, but more flexible as you may angle the bars to give different positions.

Top Bottom