Helensburgh Driver Admits to Killing Cyclist & Father.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Link is dead

Alex321

Veteran
POS.... Hope he gets a very long time inside, but I don't have much confidence in the system offering us any protection.

I agree. He should get a very lengthy sentence and a lifetime driving ban.

The courts have to follow the guidelines for sentencing (which are different in Scotland to those in England & Wales, but broadly similar).

The starting point for level A (which this will be due to his driving with drugs in his system) is 7-12 years custody. That will be reduced for his guilty plea, but aggravated by his previous convictions.

And a minimum ban of 5 years, plus half the length of the custodial sentence (which presumably assumes that only half the sentence will actually be served inside).

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The courts have to follow the guidelines for sentencing (which are different in Scotland to those in England & Wales, but broadly similar).

The starting point for level A (which this will be due to his driving with drugs in his system) is 7-12 years custody. That will be reduced for his guilty plea, but aggravated by his previous convictions.

And a minimum ban of 5 years, plus half the length of the custodial sentence (which presumably assumes that only half the sentence will actually be served inside).

I think one of the biggest differences between the two countries is, you don't automatically spend half your sentence on licence in Scotland. I think you spend all but the last 6 months in prison, unless the parole board deems you fit to return to society. I've been to some of these review meetings, albeit some years ago, and its far from certain parole would be granted.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The saddest part is it took how many years for it too even get to court with the evidence making it such an easy case to try .
As judge dredd would say .....

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The saddest part is it took how many years for it too even get to court with the evidence making it such an easy case to try .
As judge dredd would say .....

Yeah, ridiculous. Imagine the person who did that to your loved one was wandering around free and easy. Absolute nightmare for the family.

icowden

Veteran
Yeah, ridiculous. Imagine the person who did that to your loved one was wandering around free and easy. Absolute nightmare for the family.
Yep. The worst thing is I would imagine that the reaction once he has been sentenced is "tougher prison sentences needed". Maybe if drugs intervention had happened earlier and they guy was being treated for his drug addiction, this tragedy would never have happened.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Yep. The worst thing is I would imagine that the reaction once he has been sentenced is "tougher prison sentences needed". Maybe if drugs intervention had happened earlier and they guy was being treated for his drug addiction, this tragedy would never have happened.

Mmm, not sure about that if I'm honest. I'm no expert on the subject, but I reckon there has never been as much help available for drug addicts.

Top Bottom