Helensburgh Driver Admits to Killing Cyclist & Father.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Mmm, not sure about that if I'm honest. I'm no expert on the subject, but I reckon there has never been as much help available for drug addicts.
Well...

Number of NHS mental health beds down by 25% since 2010, analysis shows​

https://www.theguardian.com/society...lth-beds-down-by-25-since-2010-analysis-shows
data (from 2010 to 2015) showed that total mental health funding across the organisations dropped by 8.25% in real terms. The scale of funding changes varied at individual providers. Five trusts saw real terms reductions of more than 15%.
https://www.communitycare.co.uk/201...showed that total,reductions of more than 15%.
In 2013 there was 1 mental health doctor for every 186 patients accessing services. In 2018 this has fallen to 1 for every 253 patients. • In 2013 there was 1 mental health nurse for every 29 of patients accessing services. In 2018 that has fallen to 1 for every 39 patients
https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Mentalhealthfundingreport2_0.pdf

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru

Mike_P

Guru
FFS the sentencing system needs overhauling, how can careless driving not be dangerous if someone gets killed. Careless should be limited to non injury incidents.

icowden

Veteran
FFS the sentencing system needs overhauling, how can careless driving not be dangerous if someone gets killed. Careless should be limited to non injury incidents.
That would make no sense at all. If you kill someone through a momentary lapse in concentration - that is careless driving. It can have huge consequences but it is difficult to rehabilitate and impossible to fix. Dangerous driving on the other hand is driving that is deliberately dangerous, driving far below the standard expected and it rightly carries a stronger sentence.

Alex321

Veteran

The meanings of careless and dangerous driving are set out in the Road Traffic Act, and the consequences have no bearing on them.

2AMeaning of dangerous driving.​

For the purposes of sections 1and 2 above a person is to be regarded as driving dangerously if (and, subject to subsection (2) below, only if)—

(a)the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and

(b)it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous

3ZAMeaning of careless, or inconsiderate, driving​

(1)This section has effect for the purposes of sections 2B and 3 above and section 3A below.

(2)A person is to be regarded as driving without due care and attention if (and only if) the way he drives falls below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I get the distinction, I think most of us would be looking for more of a deterrent to keep us safe. There by the grace of God go I and all that.

Alex321

Veteran
I get the distinction, I think most of us would be looking for more of a deterrent to keep us safe. There by the grace of God go I and all that.

I wouldn't. There is not much point to a deterrent to careless driving, nobody deliberately makes the sort of mistake that comes into that category, so no deterrent will prevent it.

Dangerous driving is another matter entirely, because that is more than a simple, momentary lapse, and is normally deliberate action that the driver should have know was likely to result in something serious.

I actually think bringing in the offence of causing death by careless driving was wrong, and smacks more of revenge than justice.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I wouldn't. There is not much point to a deterrent to careless driving, nobody deliberately makes the sort of mistake that comes into that category, so no deterrent will prevent it.

Dangerous driving is another matter entirely, because that is more than a simple, momentary lapse, and is normally deliberate action that the driver should have know was likely to result in something serious.

I actually think bringing in the offence of causing death by careless driving was wrong, and smacks more of revenge than justice.

I agree to an extent, revenge is never going to work. Careless isn't always a momentary thing though, speeding for instance could attract a Careless charge and has done lots of times in the past.

Top Bottom