Hell of a Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wayne Tully

This weekend there was a little 30KM Sportive in Kent, my wife has recently taken up cycling again so I asked her if she fancied doing it at a leisurely pace and have a nice Sunday, I felt as she was on a mountain bike it would be unfair to do it on my road bike so I did on my Apollo Veho which I got for Xmas a couple of years ago, I've hardly used it but thought it would be up to doing 30KM. On Sunday we start off and are doing nicely, we missed a turn which added a couple of KM on but no bother then at about 15KM I felt a wobble in my left pedal, I stopped and had a look, the pedal had sheared off the thread on the inside of the crank arm, I tried to tighten it but to no avail this lead me having to take the pedal off and completing the final 16KM with 1 pedal, I wish I had put my clipless pedals on, it would have made it much easier.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ha ha, no, because we don't ride Apollos!

tyred

Legendary Member
The pedal was slightly loose and the movement and fretting destroyed the threads. It will happen to the even the most expensive chainsets if the pedals aren't tightened or possibly cross-threaded and damaged in the first place.

Did Halfords assemble the bike?

OP
OP
Wayne Tully

Wayne Tully

The pedal was slightly loose and the movement and fretting destroyed the threads. It will happen to the even the most expensive chainsets if the pedals aren't tightened or possibly cross-threaded and damaged in the first place.

Did Halfords assemble the bike?

Halfords did and to be fair they have replaced the crank arm and pedal for free and fitted it even though I have no receipt and it's 2 years old.

Still first time I've done a challenging 20 mile ride in a long time.

Top Bottom