Hello all, can you help me with some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
My touring bike has a mountain bike gear set (not ultra low gears, but def a lower gear than it would normally have been sold with). Very handy for hills!

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Thanks for all the feedback guys really loving the friendly advice.

Ok my Brother-in -law has a mountain bike, he owns a Carrera Fury and loves to go off road on dirt tracks etc, as Ill be training and doing these days out with him Im now considering getting the same or similar bike. I have made contact with a guy not too far away from me that has one of these although a newer model with upgrades for £200. I have my car in for a taxi test tomorrow if it sails straight through I have told the guy I will pop up and take a look at this bike on Thursday if its there great if its gone then its not meant to be its that simple. I think Im getting to wrapped up in it all now lol. Im no professional but just want a decent all round bike for the money that gets me from a to b without the hassles of breaking down.

Im hopeful that this is the one.and its still there, it will save me money for starters but thats not necessarily the way Ill pick a bike.

Here is the upgrades
White carrera fury 20" frame and 26" wheels
Hope mono hydraulic brakes
Bontrager wheels
Rockshox tora forks
Kona stem
SRAM gearing
It is very good condition but does have minor marks and chips in various places but nothing really
£200 ovno

What do you think guys

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That Whyte Sussex, a couple of posts up, is a total bargain. It will do everything you need it to do, and some. My Husband has a Whyte and it's bombproof. Goes anywhere, pretty much. Something like that Sussex will let you ride on the road and on trails too. Right size for your height as well. If I were looking for a bike, I'd have that in a heartbeat.

I am not a fan of MTBs, too heavy and too slow. That is just a personal thing though. If you are looking seriously at that Fury, make sure those forks have a lock-out, so you can have them as rigid forks. Bouncy is fine over rough ground but a real PITA on smooth tarmac as they take up energy that could be better utilised in going forward. Far too much like effort, but then I'm lazy.
Before making any decisions, really consider where you are going to ride the bike. If it's mostly tarmac and a bit of trail riding - nothing heavy and mountainous, a tourer type, or CX or a roadie might be the way to go. If you are going to hoon about on rougher trails and only a bit of road work, then a MTB will do the job admirably.

Oh, don't discount having a look at Decathlon for bikes. Good bikes at inexpensive prices.

Of course, all this is academic because, when you get bitten by the cycling bug, you'll have a CX for trails, a roadie for road, a MTB for hooning in the woods and a tourer for going on your hols on. It's called N+1 and happens to the best of us :laugh::bicycle:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Daryn, if your budget is £350 or £3500 someone will always find a reason to put you off the bike you have chosen, we all have our favourites.

But what suits me may not suit you in so many ways. Make and model of bike, drop bars, straight bars, saddle, pannier rack, size of tyre, type of tyre, spds or flat pedals. The list goes on and on.

You need a personal list.

I want drop handlebars

Shimano 105 gears

At least 28c tyres

Eyelets for a rear rack

Etc, etc

What you need to think about is not just what road surfaces you will ride on during your coast to coast ride, but also what you will use your bike for after that ride. Your coast to coast ride is just a small fraction of the riding you will be doing with your bike. You dont want to blow your budget on a bike which is only good for one ride.

My tip for what its worth. Charge Spoon saddles are a good gamble at £20.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys really loving the friendly advice.

Ok my Brother-in -law has a mountain bike, he owns a Carrera Fury and loves to go off road on dirt tracks etc, as Ill be training and doing these days out with him Im now considering getting the same or similar bike. I have made contact with a guy not too far away from me that has one of these although a newer model with upgrades for £200. I have my car in for a taxi test tomorrow if it sails straight through I have told the guy I will pop up and take a look at this bike on Thursday if its there great if its gone then its not meant to be its that simple. I think Im getting to wrapped up in it all now lol. Im no professional but just want a decent all round bike for the money that gets me from a to b without the hassles of breaking down.

Im hopeful that this is the one.and its still there, it will save me money for starters but thats not necessarily the way Ill pick a bike.

Here is the upgrades
White carrera fury 20" frame and 26" wheels
Hope mono hydraulic brakes
Bontrager wheels
Rockshox tora forks
Kona stem
SRAM gearing
It is very good condition but does have minor marks and chips in various places but nothing really
£200 ovno

What do you think guys
Sounds good for £200, but check that the fork locks out and that the lock out works. You'll want that feature if cycling on roads. If you'll be riding off road, an MTB is probably the way to go and good for winter. If you get the bug and find you are riding more on roads in the spring, there's nothing to stop you selling it and getting a road bike or indeed keeping it and doubling your fleet. Put a tenner aside every week and come May you'll have a nice wad to put towards a new bike

That Whyte is perfect if it's the right size and is the right sort of bike for the ride you are planning.

I don't think an MTB or hybrid would be any more comfortable than a correct fitting road bike,in fact probably less so;something like that Whyte a Cannondale Synapse or similar would do the trick.

Have mechanical disc brakes on my Planet X* cross bike which is used as a commuter and they are fine,hydraulics are better but it's not a necessity by any means.

*If you could up the budget a Planet X london road would be good too(they start at £699) but that Whyte is still a steal.

vickster

Legendary Member
However, he says he is planning to ride off road trails with his BIL, at least while he is starting out and training for his big ride, not sure a roadbike is up to such rough stuff even with 28mm tyres

Sounds good for £200, but check that the fork locks out and that the lock out works. You'll want that feature if cycling on roads. If you'll be riding off road, an MTB is probably the way to go and good for winter. If you get the bug and find you are riding more on roads in the spring, there's nothing to stop you selling it and getting a road bike or indeed keeping it and doubling your fleet. Put a tenner aside every week and come May you'll have a nice wad to put towards a new bike

Still don't think an MTB is the way to go for a long ride like that;also you will be needing to do some reasonable distance training rides(after building up to it at first) and going on MTB/trail rides is not really the right sort of prep for a long event especially if it's your first.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For your Coast 2 Coast are you planning an offroad route and if so how offroad? There are various routes you can choose, some of them are not suitable for certain bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Still don't think an MTB is the way to go for a long ride like that;also you will be needing to do some reasonable distance training rides(after building up to it at first) and going on MTB/trail rides is not really the right sort of prep for a long event especially if it's your first.
I think he just wants to get cycling and he'll be doing with his BIL off road. The C2C appears incidental to getting fit not the sole objective

Is the C2C always an organised event or just a long ride done at own pace? Dunno I live down south ;-)

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Hi guys, wow lots to read and thanks for taking the time, I contacted the guy with the fury and asked him if their were any problems with it,this was the reply ..........
No not that I know of tbh

The reply didnt give me much confidence in the bike TBH lol, you own a bike you ride it you should know if it has problems surely, its 80 mile round trip so not as if its just round the corner to check it.

Their will always be another bike............

So Im still looking the bike mentioned on here has gone Ive just looked at the thread

Depends on what C2C you are planning to do. If its the NE to NW Tynemouth/Sunderland to Whitehaven route, (or the reverse) I can tell you there are some areas of the route that a hybrid would be best suited for. Something to think about is what would you use the bike for outside doing the C2C. If it is medium distance (40+ miles) a hybrid would be best, though a CX bike could give you two options - shorter rides (20 - 30 miles) with CX tyres or 40+ (even 60 or 70+) with road tyres. The latter would not be advisable on the C2C above.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Although I'd lean toward a road bike with drop bars for comfort (being able to move your hands to different positions helps a lot) if you fit a less knobbly tyre to the rear of an MTB, you'll find there's a lot less rolling resistance on tarmac, whilst you still get the knobbly grip on the front in the rough stuff.

Russell

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Hi guys it seems like ages now since my last post, well if you aint got a bike its hardly a forum you want to spend time on lol.

Anyway upto date news Im sitting here having a coffee to wake me up before going off to buy a Carrera Fury 2016 model, a guy about 10 miles up the road bought one, used it a couple of times and stuck it in the garage so with it only being February you could say its almost brand new.

Im saving £200 buying this against a brand new one. So looks like you might be stuck with me now lol. It could lead to a full blown hobby or it could be a passing faze who knows but you have to start somewhere.

Photos will be posted when I pick it up.

Once again thanks for all the replies really appreciated it.

Top Bottom