hello and thanks in anticipation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
I live in Birmingham and don't drive, consequently I use a cycle to get around. I have never had much cash to splash around and my present job is as a care assistant working at various peoples homes around the city. I find a cycle gets me around quicker than waiting for several buses.
My present bike is a cheap hybrid (viking) and its been okay for my needs as I don't cycle much (about 100 miles a week) I don't do long jouneys my longest single trip is about 12 miles the rest are between 2 and 5 miles. After some 6-years The indicator on my rims are showing they need replacing and having seen the price of fairly lightweight wheels. I don't want to be paying out what I paid for the bike every 5 years. So I thought I would upgrade to discs whilst I was changing the wheels.
My problem is that my brakes are integrated into my shifters and so I need new shifters and as I need new shifters I might as well upgrade to nine speed. I know I will also need a new chain, cassete, front derailleur. but do I have to get a new crankset as well? I have about £400 max to spend and I am looking for durability rather than Lightness as my main criteria so I don't need the most expensive equipment. Or would it be better to spend the 400 on a new bike

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise, but in the meantime, hello and :welcome: !

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
thanks for the replies, what a friendly place this is. Would a version of this post be better placed in a different section?

mender

Hi - New here myself, bear with me while I figure this out ;)

You could buy yourself a pretty superb used bike for £400! I wish I had that to spend...

There are many cable operated disc brakes available so I'm not sure you would need to change your shifter/brakes. What concerns me is this:- Is your frame and fork capable of taking a disc brake?

I once and only very briefly owned a bike with front and rear discs. They were useless! In all fairness I think the disc and pads had become contaminated with oils - no matter how I cleaned them an Oil Tanker could have slowed down quicker :sad:

Good luck either way.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Thanks for the replies I have had a look at the decathlon bikes none of the frames I saw there are any better than the one I have, at least not in my budget. Mender yes my frame has IS mountings front and back for discs. I am glad that £400 will get a nice bike as a different forum I asked the general opinion was. There wasn't a decent new bike under £499 and when I said I rode a viking and wouldnt mind another there was general sniggers this forum seems much friendlier

Top Bottom