Hello! :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
the fixed coversion looks like it has vertical drop outs, how did you get the chain tension? half link and magic gear or have you got a tensioner there, cant tell.

E

Euan Uzami

Tharg2007 said:
the fixed coversion looks like it has vertical drop outs, how did you get the chain tension? half link and magic gear or have you got a tensioner there, cant tell.

er.. which one. joe24's seems to have forward facing horz drop outs, youngun's has track ends.
unconnected lever a big no-no in my book though! can't you connect it to some accessory, like an airzound maybe? although i just favour a rear brake personally.

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

Tharg2007 said:

magic gear ratio. :angry: it was going to be a singlspeed with a tensioner, but when i found out the gearing was magic, i went for a fixed wheel. :biggrin:

Tharg2007

Veteran
zzpza said:
magic gear ratio. :angry: it was going to be a singlspeed with a tensioner, but when i found out the gearing was magic, i went for a fixed wheel. :biggrin:

cool, can we have some close up shots of it? did you need to use a half link?

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

Tharg2007 said:
cool, can we have some close up shots of it? did you need to use a half link?

sure, it's a normal sram 7 speed chain with a power link. undoing the wheel nuts will allow you to wiggle the chain off, but it's easier (with the bike upside down) to lift the wheel out of the dropouts and then lift the chain off the chainring or sprocket. i'll go grab my camera...

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

here we go...

3152819335_298c5d00e6.jpg

3153654904_2af2b5903a.jpg

3153655306_40bf2c8718.jpg

The frame has a 140mm rear. If it had been normal (for single speed) size of 120mm I wouldn't have needed all those washers behind the sprocket, nor so many spacers on the axel.

Jules

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
I believe that Joe has two brake levers it's just that only one is conected.

Steve

I do indeed.
My left brake lever is just there for me to hold on to. If it wasnt there i would have to be climbing on the drops, which doesnt work for me all the time.
Plus whats fun with having a brake lever that is just there means you can go along clicking it when your bored, or tell someone its a turbo lever and when you pull it, you speed up(you then pull it and spin and accelerate off, then release it and slow back down)
Then watch the faces of the people and see if they beleive:evil:
I thought about bull horns though, but i would miss the drops so i just stick with what i got.
And my dropouts are indeed forward facing horizontal ones. Wish they were abit longer or i had proper track ends but never mind.
Im impressed with the magic gear:becool:

E

Euan Uzami

problem with magic gear is what if you move to a flatter or hillier area and want to change sprocket. ?

E

Euan Uzami

Joe24 said:
I do indeed.
My left brake lever is just there for me to hold on to. If it wasnt there i would have to be climbing on the drops, which doesnt work for me all the time.
Plus whats fun with having a brake lever that is just there means you can go along clicking it when your bored, or tell someone its a turbo lever and when you pull it, you speed up(you then pull it and spin and accelerate off, then release it and slow back down)
Then watch the faces of the people and see if they beleive:evil:
I thought about bull horns though, but i would miss the drops so i just stick with what i got.
And my dropouts are indeed forward facing horizontal ones. Wish they were abit longer or i had proper track ends but never mind.
Im impressed with the magic gear:becool:

just have the hood. save some weight :evil:

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

Euan Uzami said:
problem with magic gear is what if you move to a flatter or hillier area and want to change sprocket. ?

which is why i'm building the track bike :evil:

E

Euan Uzami

Joe24 said:
But that will just look strange, and require effort to take the brake lever off.
Wouldnt look right either.

point being, to me it looks strange if it's not used anyway. it's basically an ornament :evil:

Top Bottom