Hello Everybody

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

northolthornet

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this, so please bear with me.

I have joined the cycle to work scheme and I have ordered a Marin Novato, which should be with me in a week or so (getting some handmade wheels to go with the bike as I am on the heavier side!!).

Anyway, I have not ridden on the roads and my commute from NW London to London Bridge is about 13 miles. The ultimate aim would be to commute this distance as often I can.

I have been going to the gym for the last 4 years and managed to lose 9 stones but I have decided to start cycling to get fitter.

Any advice on what to expect and websites on mapping cycle routes would be great.

Thanks!!

Hello northolthornet - 9 stones eh? Well done!
Presuming Northolt is your base, you'll be heading into town via Wood End, Sudbury Hill, Alperton..?
Used to live near in 1980!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome NHH :ohmy:

9 stones is pretty impressive weight loss my man :blush:
I guess you will be starting out by doing this 26 mile round trip a couple of days a week but once you have got the cycling bug you will probably end up doing it daily and going out at weekends too!

I started a year ago and have to say that the traffic doesn't really bother me but this is probably because I leave home at 06:30 and finish just after half 3 in the afternoon. Just use common sense and be confident on the roads and you'll be fine!

You can get free paper maps with cycle routes and colour coded roads (letting you know which are recommended for cycling etc) from the TFL website. Another way is to use online mapping websites to plan journeys and see how hilly they are. Try Google maps or Bikeroutetoaster.

Best of luck and congrats on the new bike :ohmy:

Cheers,
SD

OP
OP
N

northolthornet

Yes, I am based in Northolt, just down the road from the Harvester.

I am not sure of a route yet though, but I have got some maps from TFL and I will be working on a way to work soon.

Can't wait!

OP
OP
N

northolthornet

Thanks Sittingduck! I start work at 8am and finish at 4pm so I should avoid the rush hour in central London. I really have no idea 13 miles will take me to cycle. I will budget for 1 1/2 hours so I will leave home at 6am, this will give min 30mins to shower and work.

Thanks for the link bonj, its exactly what I was looking for!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you're leaving at 6, you will probably be there by about 7:15-7:30 (given time stopped at junctions etc). It's a great time of the day to be cycling through the Capital :blush:

I soon found that after riding in and showering at work, I was arriving at my desk feeling much fresher and more awake than when I used to get the bus in! Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress NHH.

Cheers,
SD

Top Bottom