Hello everyone — touring noob soon to hit the world for a year! Yikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eversorich

Hello everyone,
I'm Rich. I've always been into bikes but only seriously on and off for a few months here and there. About a year ago, I was introduced to bikepacking by a friend who I used to MTB with and it stole my imagination.
1. I've never bikepacked. But I'm also not unfit.
2. I've not cycled much in the past year, only in the past 6 weeks.
3. I'm bored of everything and I'm in a good place to head off travelling again with no ties.
So... I've given myself until April to prepare and leave by then. It's a bit nuts I know but life's to be lived in my eyes and it's time for me to be the person in those gorgeous scenic photo's we all see, instead of being the reader!
Any advice you guys have, please fell free to hit me with it all as this is going to happen. I'm strongly drawn toward Asia. I'd backpack it otherwise but my bike is built, 70% of kit now owned and I love the idea of being my own transport too.
Looking forward to interacting and learning from you all all over the next few months! :-D

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What do you need to prepare? Just get on your bike and ride it. You dont need to be mega fit. That will come as you ride. You dont need to be fst as you are touring.

Just remember to post photos on here

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Get as many vaccinations as you need and start now. Mine took about 4 months to get before I went round the world. Think about the places you might go then discuss with your GP and go from there. You can have some in combination if time is short. I stayed healthy the two years I was travelling. Some take more than one visit / injection to become effective such as rabies etc. Yellow fever you may need to visit a specific surgery for your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sorry, I'm too jealous of your freedom to go*, to be able to offer much beyond a tight lipped 'enjoy'....

Oh and maybe don't over plan...

But definitely take cable ties, and ibuprofen gel.

*Sure there may be a backstory to your freedom that isn't all fun and games :angel:

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

What do you need to prepare? Just get on your bike and ride it. You dont need to be mega fit. That will come as you ride. You dont need to be fst as you are touring.

Just remember to post photos on here
Thanks for the advice; you're not the first person to say such!
This is a huge thing for me to do so rather than completely jump in head first, it's always worth asking others and gathering info.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

Sorry, I'm too jealous of your freedom to go*, to be able to offer much beyond a tight lipped 'enjoy'....

Oh and maybe don't over plan...

But definitely take cable ties, and ibuprofen gel.

*Sure there may be a backstory to your freedom that isn't all fun and games :angel:
No horrible backstory, I'm blessed to be in a place where I can make this call; job's going nowhere, it's time for a new place to live, and I'm currently single with no kids. I was inspired by the tales of others who have done the same.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No horrible backstory, I'm blessed to be in a place where I can make this call; job's going nowhere, it's time for a new place to live, and I'm currently single with no kids. I was inspired by the tales of others who have done the same.

Well glad to hear it - I guess :angel: blessed indeed

Now all i have to do is muck up my careers, and my relationship, and i could be off too .

Ah well - I know - careful what you wish for .

Thanks for the advice; you're not the first person to say such!
This is a huge thing for me to do so rather than completely jump in head first, it's always worth asking others and gathering info.

Yes of course, but don't forget you are only doing it one day at a time - just take it easy to begin - don't set silly targets

If you start in Europe you are in fairly familiar territory as you get used to being on the road.

I've never been in a position to go for as long as yourself, but even on shorter travels i've found that there are good humans everywhere - nearly always people will help you out - or at least they will wish you no ill - and it is often those with the least that will offer you the most - seems to be the nature of things

Top Bottom