Hello everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Walshy

Regular
Hi my name is Mike , I started cycling yesterday to get to work as I don't have a car at the moment ( not rode a bike for 12 years) my commute is 22 miles a day , Glossop to Stockport. I admit my fitness levels are not the best but I'm not finding it to hard, apart from a sore bum :-) I'm using a friends bike at the moment which is just a basic mountain bike but will be looking for a better bike very soon and hopefully with help from the more experience riders on here than me which is probably everyone :-)

Thanks
Mike

sdr gb

Falling apart
Hi Mike. :welcome:

Plenty of people on here from the Tameside / Glossop / Stockport area. Don't be afraid to ask for any help as you'll get some good advice on here, some of which may even be useful.

Happy riding.

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
Thank you , well I hope so :-) its the hills that do my legs in but I guess finding the right gear will also help. Will the bike I use also play a big factor on how my commute goes ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Will the bike I use also play a big factor on how my commute goes ?

Absolutely. I used the MTB today (a cheap Python 9000 DD) and it's about 5mph slower than the road bike. It means I'm about 5 minutes later going into work and 10 minutes longer going back, since it's uphill most of the way.

What makes a bigger difference though is my fitness and weight loss. Even on the MTB I'm faster than the road bike I used a year ago when I started, unfit and 3 stone heavier.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome from Ashton :hello:

I'm surprised it is only 11 miles, I do 10.5 from Ashton to Hazel Grove and would have guessed your trip was closer to 14/15 miles. The worst part for you must be climbing to the Mottram high point?

Hard tail or, even better, rigid MTB's are fine for commuting just make sure the tyres are at the max allowed pressure (shown on the tyre sidewall) and maybe get a pair of these tyres or similar.

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
The mileage is just a rough estimate but saying that you are probably right , as it was 22 miles commute in my car using the M67 :-).

Yeah mottram high point is a killer for me , at the moment I cycle the first half and walk the rest until it levels out at the traffic lights then jump back on. I'm going to cycle a bit more everyday until I can complete it well that is my goal anyway :-)

Thanks for the advice on the bikes I will look into these, would a hybrid also be appropriate for my commute as I see these bikes often referred to as commuter bikes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Mike, I hope todays commute isn't too bad in the rain :rain:

You are probably dead right with your mileage. I did a quick check and from Norfolk square in Glossop to near Asda in Stockport via Mottram, VW at Gee Cross and straight down through Woodley and Portwood is about 10.5 miles.

Hybrids are ok but cover such a wide range of bikes as to almost be a useless description. Some are just a mountain bike with skinny tyres while others are out and out no compromise road bikes but with flat handlebars fitted. I would suggest that if you are going to get a hybrid for your commute you would be best looking for something with no suspension and 700 sized wheels and a tyre of at least 28c section (fatness).

I would class my GT hybrid as being 75-80% road bike and with it's 35c tyres it suits the job it is used for perfectly.

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
Thank you Phil , yeah I have noticed in just the few days I have been doing it things are getting slightly easier.

On the bike note , at the moment it's all a bit confusing on what bike to choose but I'm sure with a bit more research I will pick the correct bike.

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
Well i treated myself to a carrera crossfire 2 today I know it has front suspension but I am planning on using it for commuting and also on a few of the Derbyshire trails at the weekend. The thing is I got it off a mate it been rode once and stood for the last 6 months, I need to get it prepared for Monday for my 20 mile commute, could any one give me advice on how to check it over or service it kinda thing. I'm quite good with tools as I work on card quite a lot but don't have a clue about bikes :-) if this is best posted somewhere else I apologize.

Top Bottom