Hello Everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pip

Hello all, not a new cyclist but new to the forums!

And I'm strangely perplexed....!

I had NO idea before I came here that there was so much 'anti motor vehicle' feeling in the cycling fraternity! I've been riding bikes on an almost daily basis since the age of 5 (now 25), and yes I've had my fair share of near misses and on one occasion direct hits (no serious injuries fortunately), but I've never felt minded to damage anyone's car or shout/swear/insult anyone because of it! Why the need to be so militant about it?! That's a genuine question by the way, I'm not trying to provoke anyone (that would be very rude of me on my first post here!) - I'm genuinely perplexed as to the sheer level of vitriol in some of the posts!

Aside from the cycling, I'm also a very keen motorist, I love cars, I love driving, and until I saw the forum I didn't see a conflict between my love of driving and of cycling....but maybe there is one?!?!

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello and air my confusion!

Cheers,

Pip

Maz

Guru
Hi
I bet the vast majority of people on this forum are also drivers. The anti-car comments are most probably born out of anger at being hit (or had near misses) by the odd idiot driver and I very much doubt it's a reflection on drivers in general (me included).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's only one or two that get really annoyed - I'm a daily commuter - and most of my near misses have been pure 'mistakes' - and I just carry on.

Any it maybe a good way for some of the forumers to vent anger on here.

Having spent many years commuting along a very busy M60 for 60 miles a day, you soon learn to 'put up' with the idiots - it's the same what ever transport you use.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I love driving and I love lots of cars (classics, not modern or sporty stuff). What I hate is the morons who don't feel it's worth their while to make the effort to avoid killing me... If I hurl abuse at a driver (which is rare), it's reflex reaction to thinking I was about to be hit, usually. And it's probably better, as fossyant says, to come here and swear a bit, than let a red mist affect your riding...

That said, most days my rides are pretty uneventful. The trouble is, you tend to remember the near misses more than the plenty-of-rooms.

Anyway, welcome. We're not all raving psychopaths. Well, not all the time...:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sometimes, just sometimes (like for instance when someone Left Hooks you on a RAB on purpose) a rant at a driver is deserved.

As is giving out a cheery wave and thanks when a motorist give room, let's you past etc

Bigtallfatbloke

90% of drivers are ok and decent peeps. 5% are just incompetent and 5% are deliberatly trying to kill cyclists. My 'anti' motorist comments are aimed at the 5%...most of whom seem to drive a white van or are rodents in small cars with huge stereo's to make up for their lack of penis size.

CJ87

Hi Pip welcome to the forum, I'm new also but both to the forum and cycling. I'm not sure if you're referring to my post yesterday, although my actions had nothing to do with the fact a car was involved it was to do with the fact I was spat at and had coins thrown in my face, obviously a disgusting and dangerous thing to do to anyone, especially a cyclist. I've found 99% of other road users to be curteous and respectfull although to echo what bigtallfatbloke said its the very small minority that people have a problem with. As a driver also I have alot more time for cyclists now that I've started riding, theres nothing 'anti-car' about it as fatfellafromfelixstowe said it's just anti-idiocy.
Welcome again!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Pip, i dont have a problem with the whole group of motorists. Its the aggressive, head up their arse full of their own self importance ones that i dont like. Also the nervouse ones when i'm on a busy dual-carrigeway, why go over half way and not just take the other lane to go past?
I am agaisnt the people that will pass close, honk horns to get me to move or to scare me or do anything to get me off the road.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Driving is a bloody chore, and something that I personally dislike doing.

Don't hate motorists or cars though. I do think it somewhat understandable that people might be angry at nearly being killed by someone else's incompetence, inattention or malice.

Enjoy the forum!

OP
OP
P

Pip

CJ87 said:
Hi Pip welcome to the forum, I'm new also but both to the forum and cycling. I'm not sure if you're referring to my post yesterday, although my actions had nothing to do with the fact a car was involved it was to do with the fact I was spat at and had coins thrown in my face, obviously a disgusting and dangerous thing to do to anyone, especially a cyclist. I've found 99% of other road users to be curteous and respectfull although to echo what bigtallfatbloke said its the very small minority that people have a problem with. As a driver also I have alot more time for cyclists now that I've started riding, theres nothing 'anti-car' about it as fatfellafromfelixstowe said it's just anti-idiocy.
Welcome again!

Hi, no, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I was just stunned at the overall militancy of the response people have! It's something I've never really been aware of.

I guess I'm just not confrontational, I would consider it pretty rude to shout at or swear at someone I've never met (indeed to do that to someone I have met!).

I've never been spat at thank heavens, I do agree it's a pretty disgusting thing to do. I think my reaction would have been different to yours had it happened, but you obviously have the right to deal with situations as you wish.

But as I say, my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, nor was it saying my 'non-militancy' is 'right,' - it was just an expression of my surprise really!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I honestly think its a way of letting off steam... we forget to come on here and rave about how good our commute's have been, and yet every day I normally smile very nicely at motorists because they have been nice to me.... I'm sure you get further by smiling rather than looking miserable.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hi Pip, welcome.

I don't know where you ride, but you are obviously lucky enough to be in a place where there are no stupid or inconsiderate drives. Better not tell us or we might all be tempted to move there.

Unfortunately for many of who commute on the roads have had the experience of nearly being killed by someone driving a motor vehicle. This experience does tend to cause some upset and this is a place where we can let off steam.

While assaults and abusive behaviour are rare, they do happen and appear, sadly, to be on the rise. After all we are merely cyclists, not drivers and therefore seen by some sections of the motoring public to as not having any right to be there (oddly I have experienced the same attitude when walking across car parks). Such is life...

Top Bottom